Sriracha Chicken Burrito Bowls are bowls full of delicious, healthy ingredients.
Why A Bowl?
These are called “burrito” bowls because they contain the ingredients you would find in a burrito, but without the tortilla wrap. Which makes bowls a great choice for anyone avoiding gluten or excess carbs.
Bowls are less messy to eat and they may even make your food taste better, and give you a better eating experience, at least according to this article: Reasons Why Food Tastes Better in a Bowl.
What Makes a Good Bowl?
Bowls are a fun way to pack a lot of goodness into a meal, and the possibilities are unlimited. However, I’m going to try to encapsulate the essential elements of an ideal bowl, right here.
- Grain: I’m using quinoa here, but you could also use rice, barley, faro, or any grain. To keep it gluten-free, choose cooked rice, buckwheat groats, or quinoa.
- Protein: Any kind of meat, chicken, shrimp, salmon or tofu. Beans such as black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas.
- Fresh Veggies: Absolutely any veggies that you enjoy raw will work.
- Cooked Veggies: Sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, carrots, or corn.
- Greens: Spinach, Kale, Micro-greens, Arugula, or any leafy green
- Crunch: Nuts & seeds
- Dressing: Tart, sour, sweet, salty, spicy, any combination!
Burrito Bowls For Meal Prep
There are many blogs and websites out there that are all about meal prep, a concept which I think is convenient, efficient and time-saving. Although meal prep is not my focus, I do know that these sriracha chicken burrito bowls are perfect for meal prepping.
Start Your Burrito Bowl in the Oven
I love that the cooked components of this burrito bowl can all start off in the oven together. And, while the oven is doing its thing, you can do the slicing and chopping that goes into the fresh part of your delicious bowl. This recipe starts out like a sheet pan dinner.
Burrito Bowl Assembly
When it comes to assembly, it all depends on you. Because, let’s face it, this bowl is going to taste just as delicious if you throw it all together without even a thought of taking an Instagram photo, right? That being said, food can be art, and bowls of fresh delicious food can be beautiful. So don’t hesitate to get artistic with a bowl, either. (I would love to see your creations if you do!) Want more goodness in a bowl? Try Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad or Mediterranean Buckwheat Salad.
Sriracha Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas drained
- 2 red bell peppers halved & cored
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 cup quinoa cooked & cooled
- 1/4 cup salsa chunky
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado halved & sliced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbs sriracha sauce adjust to taste
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. and salt.
- Pat chickpeas as dry as possible, then toss them in the seasoned olive oil mixture.
- Spread seasoned chickpeas in a single layer over 1/3 of the baking sheet.
- Next, toss the chicken breasts in the remainder of the olive oil mixture. Put the chicken on the baking sheet beside the chickpeas.
- Add the bell pepper halves, cut side down
- Repeat the above 2 steps with the corn kernels
- Put the bell pepper halves, cut side down, on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle everything with fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put everything into the oven for 30 minutes, turning half way through
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Stir salsa into the cooked quinoa
- slice cooked chicken across the grain.
- Remove skin from peppers, rinsing under cold water and sliding off with your fingers. Slice peppers into strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sriracha, and honey until combined
Assemble the Bowls
- Divide Arugula between four bowls.
- Divide quinoa, chicken, roasted peppers, avocado slices, and cherry tomatoes between each bowl
- Drizzle sriracha sauce over each bowl, and top with lime wedges, cilantro, and crispy chickpeas.