Tandoori Chicken is one of my favourite Indian dishes. These Tandoori Style Chicken Drumsticks are a quick way to have amazing tandoori flavour, even if you don’t have a tandoor oven, which most of us here, I’m thinking, do not.
I’m no expert on Indian food or cooking. I do love to eat it, though, and love to try my hand with Indian food in the kitchen. This tandoori chicken recipe is a tandoori “style”, and not authentic in any way. It is, however, a quick and simple way to get those delicious tandoori flavours in a Canadian kitchen.
Traditional tandoor ovens are made of clay and heated with wood or charcoal. The ovens are extremely hot (up to 900°!) This high heat seals the juices of the chicken and keeps it moist while cooking it very quickly. Check out this article on Kitchn for more info on tandoor cooking.
I used a high heat for the oven to try to get some of this effect here. It worked out really well, because this tandoori chicken was amazing. Crisp and yet saucy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Just really tandoori (style) chicken perfection.
Some restaurants use food colouring to get the orange/red colouring of tandoori chicken. I found that the paprika does the trick without resorting to that.
I love the flavour, spice, and juiciness of tandoori chicken, and although you can use any chicken pieces with this recipe, drumsticks are quick to cook and economical. The marinade of yogurt, garlic, ginger and spices is traditional, and lends tons of flavour to this simple dish. And, if you want to be really authentic, check out this easy recipe for Garam Masala to make your own spice mix for even more amazing flavour.
How To Make Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks
Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks – Canadian Kitchen Style
- 2 cups plain Greek or Balkan style yogurt
- 4 teaspoons ginger minced
- 4 teaspoons garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- Whisk together the yogurt, ginger, garlic, paprika, coriander, garam masala, lime juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add chicken and coat with the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Remove drumsticks from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Put chicken drumsticks on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake in center of oven about 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink inside.
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means, If you click on the link and end up buying the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing awesome recipes with you. I only endorse products that I use and love myself, and there is no extra cost to you.