This Avocado Shrimp Salad is much more than avocado and shrimp. Almonds, grapefruit sections, and, to me, the best part; roasted carrots, make this salad a party in your mouth. Roasting the carrots makes them sweet and a little caramelized, and gives a delicious flavour element to the plate.
Avocado Plus Grapefruit Equals Delicious
Avocado and grapefruit are beautiful together. The tartness of the grapefruit balances the richness of the avocado, and the sweetness of shrimp. The toasted almonds add the necessary crunch. Originally, I wanted to use walnuts but didn’t have them, so almonds subbed in and they worked really well. A simple vinaigrette of lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh dill make the whole salad fresh and light. I used frozen cooked shrimp. These are great to keep in the freezer for a quick protein because they defrost quickly in cold water. (Just be careful to read the label, for where your shrimp is coming from, closest to home and sustainably fished is always best).
Healthy Salads Make for The Best Lunches
I like to make salads for lunch because I’m working from home, usually by myself, and don’t want to cook something just for me. I like to put healthy and yummy things on a plate or in a bowl, season with something simple, and enjoy. It lets me use what I have on hand, a lot of times leftovers from last night’s dinner. Opening the fridge is a little like opening an ingredient box on Chopped. (Love that show) You have to use your imagination, and sometimes the result is so good, you go back to it again and again. Sometimes, it’s a fail, but that’s another story. Since I don’t post the fails, it may seem like there aren’t any. There are, but I want to share what works with you, not what doesn’t.
This Avocado Shrimp Salad is definitely a win. I had the roasted carrots leftover from the night before, and from now on I’ll roast extra carrots to throw on a salad. They were that good. And if you like the freshness of citrus in your salads, you can also check out this Beet Salad with Grapefruit, or this Salmon Spinach, Mandarin Orange Salad for more delicious options.
Avocado Shrimp Salad
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh or dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup cold cooked shrimp
- 1 small grapefruit peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds
- fresh dill or parsley chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and salt.
- Toss carrots with one Tbsp of the dressing, and arrange on a baking sheet
- Roast carrots for 15 -20 minutes, turning once, until tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- On plates, arrange avocado slices, shrimp, grapefruit segments, carrots, and almonds
- Drizzle with dressing
- Garnish with dill or parsley and serve.