This Ginger Blueberry Martini is a pretty and refreshing cocktail for a hot day, (or a steamy night). I have a lot of fresh, local BC blueberries, and a cold, fruity cocktail is just the thing for a warm summer night on the patio. Blueberries and ginger have a great flavour affinity, and they were perfect together in this cool blue martini.
Versatile Simple Syrup
I made a simple ginger infused blueberry syrup to use in this ginger blueberry martini. The great thing about the syrup; it also works for a lot of other things. You can pour it over pancakes or ice cream. You can use it to make a vinaigrette for dressing up a salad. Or even use it as the base of a great barbecue sauce (That recipe’s coming soon). And, while the adults are enjoying these cocktails, the kids can be part of the fun if you add a little of the blueberry ginger syrup to some club soda for a refreshing, not too sweet and oh so pretty blue non alcoholic drink. Which is also a much healthier version of pop or soda.
Vodka VS Gin Martini
This is a vodka martini, as opposed to a gin martini. Gin Martinis are great, for a basic martini. But vodka is the best martini choice when pairing with most flavours, like this blueberry ginger martini, because of its neutrality.
Martinis: Shaken or Stirred?
We like this cocktail shaken, but you can pour it over ice and stir, if that is your preference. Here’s a little read about when to shake and when to stir, in the world of cocktails: Shaken vs Stirred
This is a pretty simple drink once you have your syrup made, and the syrup is easy too. Just plan a bit ahead so that you can let it get cold in the fridge before cocktail hour.
I love these ginger blueberry martinis just for the gorgeous colour alone. Just looking at the frosty cool blue colour is so conductive to chilling on the porch, patio, or deck on a hot summer evening, don’t you think?.
How to Make a Ginger Blueberry Martini
Ginger Blueberry Martini is a cool & refreshing summer cocktail using fresh summer berries.
- *Blueberry Ginger Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 thumb sized knob fresh ginger peeled and minced
- *Blueberry Ginger Martini
- 10 Ice Cubes
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth
- 6 oz good vodka
- 2 tbsp Blueberry Ginger Syrup
- 10-20 fresh blueberries
- Fresh Peach Slices for garnish
- Rinse and put martini glasses in the freezer to frost up.
- Put sugar and water in a pot and bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Add ginger and blueberries, and continue to boil for two minutes.
- With a potato masher or the back of a spoon, crush any blueberries that haven't burst.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep until cooled.
- Strain out solids.
- Put the syrup in a jar and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- In a cocktail shaker, add half each of the ice, vermouth, vodka, and blueberry ginger syrup, and shake vigorously.
- Pour into a chilled martini glass, add 5-6 fresh blueberries and garnish with a fresh peach slice. Repeat for each cocktail.
- Sip immediately.