Grilled Corn & Black Bean Salad is a delicious way to take advantage of fresh local corn. This is a southwestern inspired salad with chili powder, lime, & cilantro.
Shucking corn isn’t difficult, but in can be tedious (and messy). Solution: the microwave. Check out this great corn shucking hack: Easiest-Ever Way to Shuck Corn. I tried it, and yes, it works.
Grilling is an easy way to cook corn on the cob. And grilling the corn adds a delicious char and nice smoky flavour to this southwestern inspired salad. Corn can be cooked on the grill directly, without the husk or in the husk. Grilling the corn in the husk will result in perfectly steamed corn, which is delicious. However, the direct grill method is best for this recipe.
I like to throw a couple of extra cobs on when we are grilling corn for a different meal, so I have grilled corn on hand to make this salad.
Eat More Beans
Beans are a super food and I’m a fan. I find, though, that over the summer months we don’t eat them as much. So using them in a salad is a way to keep beans in our diet. Because they are high in protein and fibre, beans are a great choice for a hearty salad like this grilled corn & black bean recipe. For more ways to enjoy beans, check out Cajun Red Beans & Rice, Tequila Chicken Chili, or Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans.
Bean Salads Keep Well So You can Make ahead
You can keep leftover corn & bean salad overnight in the fridge and it will be even better tomorrow, so it’s great to make ahead. This hearty salad works well for a side dish and even as a meal in itself. It’s great for potlucks and picnics, too.
How to Make Grilled Corn & Black Bean Salad
Grilled Corn, Black Beans and tomatoes are dressed up with Southwestern flavours for a delicious summer side, or meal in itself. Perfect for picnics and potlucks.
- 2 ears fresh corn broken in half (breaking them makes it easier to remove the kernels later)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved, or one medium tomato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Brush corn halves all over with oil.
- Grill corn, covered, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Put beans, tomatoes, pepper and onion in a bowl and combine.
- Make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Cut corn kernels from cobs by standing , flat side down, on a cutting board, and use a sharp knife to slice downward, removing the kernels.
- Add corn to salad and, toss with the dressing, and serve.
Salad can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.