Grilled Corn & Black Bean Salad is a delicious way to take advantage of fresh local corn. This is a southwestern inspired salad with chilli powder, lime, & cilantro.
Shucking corn isn't difficult, but it can be tedious (and messy). Solution: the microwave. Check out this great corn shucking hack: Easiest-Ever Way to Shuck Corn. I tried it, and yes, it works.
Grilling is an easy way to cook corn on the cob. And grilling the corn adds a delicious char and nice smoky flavour to this southwestern inspired salad. Corn can be cooked on the grill directly, without the husk or in the husk. Grilling the corn in the husk will result in perfectly steamed corn, which is delicious. However, the direct grill method is best for this recipe.
I like to throw a couple of extra cobs on when we are grilling corn for a different meal, so I have grilled corn on hand to make this salad.
Eat More Beans
Beans are a superfood and I'm a fan. I find, though, that over the summer months we don't eat them as much. So using them in a salad is a way to keep beans in our diet.
Because they are high in protein and fibre, beans are a great choice for a hearty salad like this grilled corn & black bean recipe. For more ways to enjoy beans, check out Cajun Red Beans & Rice, Tequila Chicken Chili, or Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans.
Try using corn in a salsa, too. It's delicious for Roasted Chili Corn Salsa
Bean Salads Keep Well So You can Make ahead
You can keep leftover corn & bean salad overnight in the fridge and it will be even better tomorrow, so it's great to make ahead. This hearty salad works well for a side dish and even as a meal in itself. It's great for potlucks and picnics, too.
Grilled Corn & Black Bean Salad
- 2 ears fresh corn broken in half (breaking them makes it easier to remove the kernels later)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved, or one medium tomato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Brush corn halves all over with oil.
- Grill corn, covered, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Put beans, tomatoes, pepper and onion in a bowl and combine.
- Make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lime juice, chilli powder, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Cut corn kernels from cobs by standing them, flat side down, on a cutting board, and use a sharp knife to slice downward, removing the kernels.
- Add corn to salad, toss with the dressing, and serve.
I love love love grilled corn and this looks like the perfect way to mow it down! This seems quite similar to one of my fave corn and bean salads, but I've never grilled the corn before adding it. And now, I MUST.
Hey Dana! Grilling everything is what we do all summer, and grilled corn is so good in this salad, so yes, you MUST! 🙂
Gabrielle @ eyecandypopper
I want to eat this salad right now, it looks so good! Love the freshness of it with the seasonal corn and cilantro. MMmmm! yum!
Thanks Gabby, it is super fresh and flavourful, give it a try!
Southwest salad is one of my favourite as I can't get enough black beans, but fresh corn? That really makes it shine.
Thanks Ayngelina! Gotta take advantage of fresh corn while we can, right?
This dish just screams "Summer!" Love all those spicy flavours!
Thanks Elaine. It's a great summer salad!
Colleen, I should be in bed, it's midnight, but instead I am browsing through your blog. Looks delish as always and very seasonal. My kind of food.
Dina, thanks so much. I like your version of this dish as well!