Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms with Crab and cheese are easy to make and always a crowd pleaser. And the best part is, you can make these bite sized air fryer appetizers ahead of time, ready to pop into the air fryer when guests arrive.
You can use the oven to make these like I do with these Classic Stuffed Mushrooms but stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer are perfect for smaller batches.
Why We Love These Tasty Treats
- Air fried stuffed mushrooms with crab are the perfect party finger food. They are always a popular appetizer and tend to disappear fast.
- They're one of the easiest appetizers to make, and you can even make them ahead and air fry them as needed.
- The delicious filling for stuffing the mushrooms is just 4 ingredients.
- Stuffed mushrooms in air fryer take only 10 minutes to make.
- This easy appetizer recipe is gluten free (no breadcrumbs) and low carb , so everyone can enjoy them.
- Most important, these crab stuffed, cheesy bites are delicious, and one of those favorite appetizers that everyone loves!
- Mushrooms I used cremini mushrooms, which are small Portobello mushrooms (baby bellas), but you can also use large white button mushrooms.
- Crab I used canned crab meat, but you can use fresh, frozen (thawed) or even imitation crab.
- Cheese Mozzarella cheese is perfect because it melts so nicely, however any cheese will work.
- Mayonnaise Use real full fat mayonnaise. The egg in the mayo acts as a binder.
- Old Bay Seasoning Old Bay is magic with seafood, and it's the only seasoning required for these air fryer stuffed mushrooms.
How To Make It
Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a damp paper towel to remove any loose dirt. Don't run the mushrooms under water because they will absorb it and become soggy.
Remove the stems from the mushrooms. To do this, hold each mushroom cap in the palm of your hand, and with the other hand, gently bend the stem. They will snap off easily. Keep the stems to use in another recipe.
- Stir all of the filling ingredients together, reserving ¼ cup of the cheese.
- Scoop filling into each mushroom cap, mounding the tops.
- Top each filled mushroom with the remaining cheese.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer in a single layer, and cook them for 6-8 minutes. (Cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer and the size of the mushrooms.)
- Reserve the mushroom stems to use in soups, stews, and other dishes. You can finely chop the stems and add to burgers and meatloaf, too.
- Stuff the mushrooms up to one day ahead and store them in the fridge until you are ready to air fry them.
- After air frying, allow the mushrooms to cool for 5 minutes before serving them.
- Air fryer stuffed mushrooms are delicious when warm, but they're also good at room temperature or cold from the fridge.
- To reheat them, return them to the air fryer and cook for 2-3 minutes on the "reheat setting, or at 350°
These crab stuffed mushrooms are a favorite recipe, but you can also try different fillings, too. Some other filling ideas:
- Italian sausage and Parmesan cheese
- Spinach and feta cheese
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese
Mushrooms have a high water content and they will release water when they're cooked. If they are washed under running water, they will absorb even more water, so clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and not under running water. Luckily, the air fryer cooks the mushrooms quickly with high heat, resulting in less water.
I don't recommend freezing the cooked mushrooms. They will be soggy. However you can freeze them before you air fry them. Flash freeze them on a tray until firm, then pack them in an airtight containers or freezer bag. Cook them from frozen in the air fryer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
You can keep the mushrooms for a day or two. I would not keep them longer than that.
If you still don't have an air fryer, what are you waiting for? But seriously yes, you can bake these on a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven at 350° for 15 minutes.
More Delicious Air Fryer Appetizers
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 pound large mushrooms (about 1 dozen) cremini or white button
- 8 ounce crab meat
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Spray the air fryer basket lightly with oil, and preheat it to 400°
- Clean mushrooms with a paper towel and remove the stems, leaving a cavity in each for the filling.
- Put the mushroom caps, stem side down in the preheated air fryer. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a paper towel lined plate.
- In a bowl, combine crab meat, ¾ of the cheese, mayonnaise, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Fill each mushroom with the crab mixture, heaping the filling
- Top the filled mushrooms with the remainder of the cheese
- Place mushrooms in a single layer in the air fryer basket (you may need to do this in batches).
- Cook 5 minutes or until the filling is beginning to brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and allow the mushrooms to cool for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley, and serve.