Cucumber Melon Salad is a colourful, refreshing salad. It's perfect with grilled meats or fish and great for summer picnics and potlucks.
As cucumbers start to come on in the garden, I'm always trying to come up with new ways to use them. For this salad, I used a spiralizer to make cucumber "ribbons". I also used a spiralizer to make another cucumber salad: Sunomono Salad. If you don't have a spiralizer, you can also use a vegetable peeler, or, simply slice the cucumbers.
Types of Cucumbers for Salads
There are many different varieties of cucumbers, even one that looks like a lemon! Check out some of them here: Cucumber Varieties However, they all come under two categories: fresh eating cucumbers, and pickling cucumbers. In my garden, I have both, and I grow long English cucumbers for fresh eating. I like them for salads like this one because they are seedless, and you can eat the skin, so you don't need to peel them.
Which Melons to Use
There are three types of melon in this recipe: watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew. You can choose to use just one or two and it will still be delicious, but I like the variety of colours and flavours with all three.
Chill the Salad Ingredients
Because this salad needs to be served cold, be sure to chill the cucumber and melons before tossing them together. You can also chill the finished salad once you have put it together. I find it tastes best when eaten immediately, but you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Cucumber Melon Salad
- melon baller
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 red onion small, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 English cucumber unpeeled
- I cantaloupe scooped into balls
- 1 honeydew melon scooped into balls
- ½ seedless watermelon small
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon pickling liquid from the pickled onions
- sea salt to taste
- Season the onion slices with salt & pepper
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a microwave-safe bowl
- Microwave 1 minute, stir to dissolve sugar & pour over the onion slices to cover.
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Drain the pickled onions, reserving 2 tablespoon of the liquid
- Combine cucumber ribbons, and melon balls, pickled onions, and feta in a large bowl.
- whisk together olive oil and pickling liquid. Pour over salad and toss gently
- Sprinkle with sea salt, and serve immediately