I made this Grilled Chicken & Vegetables in Red Currant Sauce using the red currant syrup that I made a couple of posts ago for a Red Currant Mohito. We didn’t use all of the syrup in the drinks, which were very refreshing, by the way.
To be honest, I wasn’t planning on making this dish it into a post. Because it just kind of came about by accident and there was no planning involved. But, it turned out so deliciously flavourful that I changed my mind and took some photos. Seems I’m always making people wait for their dinner, but apparently the wait was worth it this time at least. Grilled chicken & vegetables in red currant sauce is an easy summer meal bursting with fresh flavours.
Red Currants are tart and even though the red currant syrup is sweet, that tartness stills shines. Balsamic vinegar adds some acidity to that sweet tartness, and rosemary and thyme make this a beautifully flavoured sauce.
Especially when you combine it with the smokiness of grilled chicken and vegetables. It was great to find a couple of fully ripened red bell peppers in the garden. And some grape tomatoes, too, so those went on the grill as well. A couple of sweet new red onions joined them on there..
Can’t find red currants? Substitutions are easy!
I’m so glad to have access to red currants as they aren’t easy to find in stores or markets. If you are interested in growing them, The Royal Horticultural Society has some great info. And if you can’t find red currant, you can easily make this recipe with cherries or blueberries as well, for the syrup. You can also skip the syrup and use grape jelly in place of it, just add a bit more vinegar until you get that tartness.
How to Make Red Currant Grilled Chicken & Vegetables
Red Currant Grilled Chicken & Vegetables
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red currant syrup Recipe
- 4 to 6 chicken thighs bone in and skin on.
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 small red onions halved
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- Combine 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper, balsamic vinegar and red currant syrup in a bowl
- Add chicken and allow to marinate for at least an hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat grill to high, and spray with grill spray.
- Toss peppers, tomatoes, and onions in olive oil.
- Put chicken and vegetables on hot grill and cook, turning, about 5-6 minutes each side.
- Remove from grill.
- In a skillet, add the red currant marinade and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and vegetables, reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme and serve straight from the skillet.