These delicious Apple Cheddar Muffins are so good, and so easy to make. It’s a pretty obvious flavour combo, right? Apple and Cheddar, although perfect, are even more delicious when you add some herbs. These delectable muffins are a true flavour treat, with apples, aged cheddar, and a hint of rosemary. I especially love that these muffins are savory, with the apples to add just a hint of sweet.
An Apple A Day…
Apples are super versatile for sweet or savory dishes, and they are also an incredibly healthy food. The old saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” really does have a ton of truth to it. Apples are a great source of antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber. They’re are just really, really good for us. Best of all, how wonderful is it to bite into a sweet, ripe, juicy apple? It’s the best snack you can eat, and so convenient, too.
Every Apple is Good, But Some Of Them Are Great
We’re into apple season right now in the Okanagan. It’s harvest time here, so there are a lot of apple varieties. Although all of them are wonderful, in our house, our all time favourite apple variety is, hands down, the Ambrosia. If you haven’t tasted an Ambrosia apple yet, you should! Ambrosia means “food of the gods”. You will know why if you taste one of these delicious apples.The Ambrosia originated here in British Columbia in the 1990s from a chance seedling that appeared in an orchard. Find out more about Ambrosia apples on the Ambrosia Apple website.
However, any apple variety will work with these delicious muffins. These apple cheddar muffins make a good quick breakfast, or coffee time snack. And, if you have a sweet tooth attack, spread some honey on one. Keep muffins covered, for up to 3 days, or freeze them..
How To Make Apple Cheddar Muffins with Rosemary
The Classic Apple and Cheddar combination is perfect in these easy to make, delicious and savory muffins.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups peeled cored, finely chopped apple (about 2 apples)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan by greasing or with paper liners, or use a non stick pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and rosemary.
- Add grated cheese and combine.
- In another bowl, beat together egg, milk, and melted butter.
- Stir in apples
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour apple mixture in, stirring swiftly until just moistened.
- Divide batter among cups in prepared pan. Bake in center of oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack