zza Stuffed Mushrooms are a new obsession for me. I was making these Classic Stuffed Mushrooms before a holiday party when I got the idea to stuff mushrooms with pizza toppings.
All the Pizza Flavours Minus the Crust
I love pizza. I always will. But all of the pizza flavours are in the toppings. So these delicious morsels taste like your favourite pepperoni pizza, without having to make the dough, wait for it to rise, and roll it out. And if the crust isn’t as good as homemade, (and those store-bought pizza crusts just never are), I would rather leave it out, anyway.
Which Type of Mushrooms to Use
I used small portobello mushrooms because I was making this for lunch. But you can also use button mushrooms to make these stuffed mushrooms into a delicious appetizer.
If I were making these as appetizers, I would go a little light on the pizza sauce. That way they’ll be less messy and work better as finger food. This recipe, though, is a fork and knife meal.
The sauce bubbles over in the oven and the cheese gets oozy and golden. Perfection, if you ask me.
No Crust, Fewer Carbs
If you crave pizza, but you’re trying to eat fewer carbs, this is the perfect pizza fix for you. And if you are on a gluten-free diet, these pizza stuffed mushrooms mean you don’t have to forgo the wonderful-ness that is pizza.
Other Toppings for Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
Although this is a basic pepperoni and cheese pizza topping, there’s no need to limit your stuffed mushroom pizza toppings. Along with the pizza sauce and cheese, here are a few ideas:
- Hawaiian: Diced Ham & Pineapple tidbits
- Vegetarian: Chopped bell pepper, red onion, spinach, & olives
- Meat Lovers: Pepperoni, Salami, Italian sausage, diced ham
- BBQ Chicken: Leftover shredded chicken, and barbecue sauce in place of the pizza sauce
Just as with pizza, the sky’s the limit for topping stuffed mushrooms.
And just for Fun
This is a seriously entertaining article from a New York Times recipe for stuffed mushrooms from 1996. Check it out for fun: Stuffed Mushrooms.
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 mushrooms medium portobello
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 8 basil leaves halved
- 16 pepperoni slices thinly sliced
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 tbs parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray lightly with cooking oil
- Remove stems from mushrooms, and reserve for another recipe
- Place mushrooms, evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet with the stemmed sides up.
- Into each mushroom cavity, spoon 2-3 tbsp of pizza sauce (enough to fill the cavity), then a basil leaf, then two pepperoni slices.
- Divide cheese evenly over each filled mushroom.
- Bake in center of oven about 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and golden, and mushrooms are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.