Turkey Cauliflower Meatloaf is a lightened up, low carb, gluten-free recipe for a classic home-cooked meal. But I guarantee, you will not find this meatloaf lacking in flavour, juiciness, or home-style comfort.
Meatloaf was in the dinner rotation at least monthly when I was growing up. I did not like it as a kid, so, I have never thought to make it as an adult. Recently, I have re-discovered meatloaf, and I’m so glad that I did. It’s a super easy, versatile and delicious meal that can be customized for every taste and diet.
The Origins of the Meatloaf
Meatloaf has been called the quintessential American meal, but its origins may be in Italy. Italian immigrants to America may have made “one big meatball” and topped with tomato sauce. However, nobody really knows where this delicious dish originated. If you’re curious, though, you can find out more here.
Turkey & Cauliflower for a Healthier Meatloaf
Traditionally, Meatloaf is made with ground beef and mixed together with breadcrumbs or another grain filler. And sometimes with canned or packaged soups added in. This recipe is a new, lighter, and healthier take on meatloaf, but, you will find it every bit as delicious and satisfying.
Cauliflower: My Secret Meatloaf Ingredient
This Cauliflower Turkey Meatloaf has no grain or fillers. Instead, it has cooked and mashed cauliflower, plus finely diced mushrooms. Together, these veggies give the ground turkey an amazing flavour, juiciness, and great texture. Plus, those veggies add so much more nutrition. The lean ground turkey means a lot of calorie savings. And it’s delicious. Did I already say that?
The Meatloaf Glaze
The crowning glory of the meatloaf is that tangy glaze, and the glaze for this turkey cauliflower meatloaf is simple, classic and delicious. It’s probably the same meatloaf glaze that everyone ever had, so I’m not changing that part up at all.
Ground Turkey: Versatile Lean Protein
Turkey Cauliflower Meatloaf
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower mashed in a colander, squeezing out as much liquid as possible
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 eggs large, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped, or dried
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Lightly coat a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients & set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Spread meat mixture evenly in prepared pan
- Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes, then remove from oven, drain off any liquid, and coat the top of the loaf with the glaze.
- Return to oven and bake a further 15 minutes, or until internal temperature is 160°
- Remove from oven and allow the meatloaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.