Beet Pistachio & Orange Salad is a perfect make-ahead salad because it only gets better with time.
I have a love for beet salads. Beets pair well with so many ingredients. So, I'm always coming up with new beet salads, some of which I have posted, like this Wild Rice Roasted Beet Salad, and Roasted Beet & Apple Salad.
This beet pistachio & orange salad recipe combines beets with oranges and pistachios. Just as in this other citrus beet salad with nuts: Beet Salad With Grapefruit, Blue Cheese & Walnuts, the sweet, earthiness of beets contrasts beautifully with the bright tang of citrus.
An Easy Way to Peel Beets
I used to peel the beets before roasting them. But then I learned the easier way. Scrub and trim the beets, then wrap them in foil before roasting. Allow them to cool slightly, then use the foil, or paper towels to rub the skins right off. It's much easier and your cutting board and hands won't be red.
Pistachios are a tree nut that grows in Asia, the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and the United States. The nuts are a green and yellow colour, with red or purple patches and the shells are a light beige that splits open as the nuts mature. Pistachios are fun to eat from the shell, because they are already split for you. But for recipes like this beet salad, you can buy them shelled to make life easier.
Pistachios are a very nutritious snack, but they are also very high in calories. They're so delicious that it's very hard to stick to just a handful. However,keep in mind that a one ounce serving of pistachios is about 49 nuts and 158 calories. It's only when we eat the whole bag that it becomes a problem. Pistachios are high in protein, fibre and heart healthy fats. They are also excellent sources of Vitamin E and B vitamins as well as calcium, iron, zinc, and selenium.
Fun Facts About Pistachios
- February 26 is National Pistachio Day.
- In China, pistachios are called the "happy nut", and in Iran the "smiling nut".
- The Queen of Sheba loved pistachios so much that she ordered the entire harvest be set aside for her.
Get more pistachio fun facts here
Beet Pistachio & Orange Salad
- 4 medium beets trimmed and scrubbed
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 4 clementines peeled & segmented
- ½ cup pistachios shelled & roasted
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- Pre-heat oven to 425°
- Wrap beets in foil and roast until tender, about 45 minutes
- Allow beets to cool enough to handle, then use the foil to rub off the skins. Cut beets into wedges. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, thyme, and salt. Add beets, shallots, and orange segments, tossing to coat.
- Put the salad in the fridge to marinate, at least two hours, but overnight is best.
- Before serving, toss with pistachios and parsley
- Serve on a bed of arugula