A Beet & Grapefruit Salad is delicious anytime, but especially nice at this time of year when citrus fruits are in season. In this salad, I combined sweet roasted beets and tart grapefruit. Toasty walnuts and blue cheese are perfect complements.
Beet & Grapefruit salad is perfect for packed lunches, and a lovely starter for a wintery roast meal. Winter just won’t let go of us here. We live in the one part of Canada, where winters are usually fairly mild and short. But not this winter. The snow just keeps coming, with no end in sight. I think most everybody has had enough winter by now.
Sunny Citrus is Perfect With Sweet Roasted Beets
That’s why I love citrus fruits. They have a sunny flavour that just brightens up a dreary winter day. They even look like sunshine. And they come from sunny places, so maybe they bring a little of that warm sun with them, at least the essence of it. We especially love the sweet tartness of grapefruit, my favourite being the pinks. We’ve also been getting our fill of navel, Valencia, and blood oranges. And lemons and limes are always in the fridge, year-round. When we can’t get seasonal fruit locally, we can at least get in-season fruit from somewhere, right?
Beet Peeling 101
The beets, on the other hand, are local and organically grown right here. Beets, like other root vegetables, keep well, with is a blessing at this time of year. Beets are messy, though. Do you hate staining your hands, countertops and cutting board? Try this tip from Real Simple: How to Peel Beets.
I had some blood oranges, so I used them in this beet salad along with the grapefruit. But regular oranges would be even better, for a more colourful salad. Use those if you have them, but the salad is so good either way.
I know that not everyone is a fan of blue cheese, so feel free to swap it for feta if you aren’t. It will be just as delicious. Or you can leave out the cheese altogether to make this a vegan salad.
Beet Salad with Grapefruit, Blue Cheese & Walnuts
- 4 medium beets
- 2 shallots sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large red grapefruit peeled, sectioned, with pith removed
- 2 oranges peeled, sectioned, with pith removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°
- wrap beets in foil, and place on a baking tray, along with sliced shallots
- Roast until beets are fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, open foil, and allow to cool
- When beets have cooled, rub the skins off with paper towel. Cut them into cubes.
- In a bowl, combine beets, grapefruit and orange segments
- Whisk together olive oil, cider vinegar, and salt. Pour over salad and toss to coat
- Add walnuts and blue cheese and gently combine
- Refrigerate for about an hour
- top with green onions for serving