Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken Thighs are one of my favourite meals to make, any time of the year. But the fragrance of fresh lemon and aromatic herbs always take me back to summer. Which makes me want to be in the kitchen again. I’ve been finding it a little hard to be inspired without my garden. Sometimes, though, being without what we wish for, can lead to creativity in the end.
Herbs: Not Just Delicious, But Healthy, Too
Herbs are not only amazing for the flavour that they add to our cooking, by the way. They also have many health benefits, and I love this article from the Washington Post: The Health Benefits of Herbs. My wishful memories of the summer garden are the inspiration for this lemon herb grilled chicken recipe.
For me, the chicken thighs are the most delicious part of the chicken. Chicken breasts are great for salads, and so many recipes, and of course, I love the lean protein. But the thighs pack a flavour punch. And if they are boneless and skinless, they are pretty low in fat, too. Chicken thighs remain moist and juicy for quick cooking, which makes them perfect for grilling or broiling. Or even a one-pan skillet dinner, like this one that also features rosemary and lemon: Rosemary Skillet Chicken.
If You Can’t Barbecue, You Can Still Make These Chicken Thighs
Although this is a barbecue recipe, it’s cold right now in so many parts of the world, so I’m doing this recipe with that in mind. You can grill these under your broiler, or, maybe you have an indoor grill or a grill pan for the stovetop. These chicken thighs are adaptable to however you want to cook them. What’s important is the flavour you are making with this amazing marinade!
Dried Herbs Will Work Too
The fresh herbs make this recipe really perfect. However, I know that those can be hard to find at some times of the year. So I’m including the dried herb subs. If you can find fresh ones in your store, though, it will be worth it. But, these lemon herb grilled chicken thighs are still delicious no matter what.
Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 8 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- juice and zest of two lemons
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a glass bowl or ziplock bag, combine all ingredients and let marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush or spray grill lightly with oil.
- Discard marinade and put the chicken on the hot grill, cooking for about 5 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature is 165°
- Chicken should be very lightly charred on the outside, and will be moist and juicy on the inside.
- Serve with grilled vegetables or a salad