Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili is a delicious vegetarian chili. And it’s so hearty and filling, that even carnivores will feel satisfied after eating this for dinner.. Some of the best chili recipes that I’ve made are vegetarian, and this one is no exception. A big pot of homemade chili is just the easiest go to dish for a one pot meal. Either vegetarian, or meat based. The spices and seasonings are what really matter in a chili pot, so beans and or meat take a backseat to all the delicious flavours that make a chili pot memorable.
A vegetarian chili is a great way to use a whole load lot of veggies in one dish, keeping things super nutritious. And the chili spices bring all of those veggies and beans together in a delicious way. We don’t need a lot of added fat for a vegetarian chili version, which is a huge nutritional bonus. I know that every home cook has their own way with chili recipes. So go with what you love, because chili gives you so much freedom to create something delicious. But I’m encouraging you to try a meatless version, because they can be truly delicious on their own.
Why Beans Are Awesome
And, if you haven’t been convinced that beans are an awesome addition to your diet, check out The Benefits of Beans. Beans are just an amazing source of nutrition. Plus, they are cheap, easy to cook, and super versatile. Beans are a big part of the cooking in many cultures, if not all.
Roasting the butternut squash gives an extra depth of flavour to this black bean & butternut squash chili. It also saves some time, since this isn’t the kind of chili that you simmer for hours, because you don’t want the veggies to be overcooked.
Is it chili, chilli, or chile?
Just a fun aside, because it I usually have to stop to think about it: the spelling of the word, chili, can be confusing. Is it chili, chilli, or chile? Although in North America, we spell it as chili, in the UK, it’s spelled as chilli, with two l’s. We commonly use chile to descripe the actual peppers.
We like our chili a little spicy, but this recipe is easy to adjust, so that you can have as much, or as little spice as you like. Or none at all. If you love Chili like we do, check out another delicious recipe here: Tequila Chicken Chili
How to Make Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili
This delicious and healthy vegetarian chili with butternut squash and black beans is easy to make.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small zucchini cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained
- 2 chipotle peppers seeded and diced
- 1-2 tbsp adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
Heat oven to 400°
Cut squash into quarters and put cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- While your squash is roasting, heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil, then add onions and garlic. Turn the heat to medium low and cook until onions are softened, but not browned.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and crushed red pepper, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, beans, peppers and zucchini. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer until veggies are tender.
- Scoop the seeds from your roasted squash with a spoon, then peel and cut into bite sized pieces, adding them to the pot.
- Add lime zest, lime juice and salt & pepper. Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro or parsley.