Chili Chocolate Brownies are a deliciously spicy treat. When you combine chocolate with a subtle hint of chili heat, the result is just pure divine. And, chili and chocolate are a perfect pair for Valentines Day, or any day. These Chili Chocolate Brownies bring both chili heat and silky chocolate together in the most delicious and beautiful way.
Brownies: Should They be Cakey, or Fudgy?
Who doesn’t love Brownies? The only debate for me, with brownies, is whether you prefer them to be light and cakey, or would rather have them dense and fudgy? While I wouldn’t say no to either, I do prefer the fudgy version. These chili chocolate brownies are chewy, fudgy, and yes, just a little spicy, too. Which is the very best part. You can have brownies any day. But brownies, infused with some spicy chili heat? Not every day, right?
Chocolate & Chili
Chocolate and chili peppers are a combo that dates back to the Aztecs, according to this article on History.com The Sweet History of Chocolate. In Mexico, chili heat is often added to your hot chocolate, and mole sauce is a spicy, savory chocolate sauce.
These dense and fudgy chili chocolate brownies are very well suited to the addition of a bit of subtle heat, in the form of some hot chili pepper. The combo of chili and chocolate is a delightful surprise. Although the spiciness is subtle, it’s definitely there, lurking quietly in the background, taking a back seat to the intense chocolate flavour, but complementing it beautifully.
I didn’t add any nuts to this recipe because I wanted it to be all about the chocolate chili combo. I also kept the spicy peppers pretty subtle. When I make these, I personally use double the heat, but I’m keeping this recipe tame for those of you who aren’t spicy. Feel free to add more, if you prefer.
This is an adult brownie, and it’s probably not suited to most kids, but hey, maybe your children are chili aficionados (I do know some that are!). If so let them at it, served with ice cream or a glass of cold milk. Or make these Chocolate Pretzel Patties just for them.
And if you’re craving a snack with more of a savory spice, try Chili Lime Spiced Nuts
How to Make Chili Chocolate Brownies
These Chili Chocolate Brownies have a hint of chili spice in a fudgy, chocolate brownie treat.
- 6 oz good quality unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350°
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment, allowing some overhang on two sides.
- In a double boiler over simmering water stirring until smooth. Or melt in a microwave using 30 second increments, stirring between increments.
- Set chocolate aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour and salt in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar
- Add cocoa powder, cayenne, and crushed chili to the egg/sugar mixture, whisking until smooth. Whisk in the cooled chocolate/butter mixture until smooth.
- Fold in flour and salt and stir vigorously until batter is thick and smooth.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a just a few crumbs.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- When cool, use the parchment to remove from pan. Cut into 2 inch squares.