Cranberry Walnut Bread is a very easy and delicious way to use cranberries. And walnuts are a natural partner with them, Did you know that there is a cranberry institute? On their website, there is a ton of information about the amazing cranberry, its history, how it’s grown and the health benefits of including them in our diet.
Cranberries: More Than Just Sauce
Luckily for us, fresh, frozen and dried cranberries are easy to get. And the cranberry is a versatile berry. It’s not just for cranberry sauce. Although Cranberry Sauce From Scratch is easy to make, too. You can use them to add a tart flavour to lots of dishes, both savoury and sweet. Including this cranberry walnut bread. Walnuts and cranberries are delicious together in this bread, with a hint of cinnamon and orange. Using fresh cranberries means a moist and not too sweet bread.
Quick Breads are, Well, Quick
Quick breads like this one are so easy to stir up and pop into the oven when you need a quick treat. And they’re healthier and tastier than store-bought cookies and cakes. They also freeze well. So you always have something on hand for when company comes, or to bring along to a gathering. You can freeze individually wrapped slices for school or work lunches, too. Then you won’t be tempted by those coffee shop slices.
Be Sure To Toast Your Walnuts
Be sure to toast the walnuts first. The result is a toasty intense nutty flavour that makes the cranberry walnut bread so good. Bonus: your house will smell amazing. Which will make you want a slice as soon as it comes out of the oven. But hold off and let the loaf cool first; it will taste much better.
Cranberry Walnut Bread – An Easy Cranberry Walnut Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan, or use a non-stick pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest.
- In a smaller bowl beat egg, milk, and oil together.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Quickly combine, just enough to moisten.
- Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.