This Sun-Dried Tomato Feta Bread is a savory loaf that's a perfect addition to an antipasto platter alongside some olives, cheeses, and cured meats. It's delicious with a balsamic & olive oil dip, too. I was asked by Tre Stelle® to create a unique and creative recipe using their delicious, multi-award-winning Feta Cheese. I love their cheeses, and especially their feta, so I went through several different ideas. When you are trying to be unique and creative, well, there's a little bit of pressure.
This post is sponsored by Tre Stelle®. All opinions are my own.
Those Mediterranean Flavours
In the end, it really wasn't so hard, because this Feta cheese is so delicious. Feta works really well with Mediterranean inspired dishes. And the flavours of sun-dried tomatoes and Feta work wonderfully together. In keeping with a Mediterranean diet, this loaf uses heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil.
The Mediterranean diet is not really a diet, but a healthy way of eating. It focuses on eating a large variety of plant foods, nuts, seeds, and unsaturated fats, like olive oil. Seafood, poultry, and even wine are all a part of this way of eating. There are many benefits to eating this way. For more information check out Mediterranean diet: A heart-healthy eating plan.
So I finally settled on baking those beautiful Mediterranean flavours into a savory, herb-filled bread. My herb garden is doing very well right now, and I missed it over the winter. So I'm using fresh herbs at every opportunity, and this was a perfect one.
Quick Bread = No Rising Time
This is a quick bread, so there's no yeast or rising time. The intense tomato flavour is perfect when you pair it with salty, creamy Feta cheese. This sun-dried tomato feta bread uses extra virgin olive oil. It's important that you don't substitute any other oil, because that olive oil taste is key to this loaf. And the better the quality of your olive oil, the better this loaf will be.
If you love Mediterranean cuisine, you may also like Mediterranean Buckwheat Salad, Spanish Fish Stew or , Sun-Dried Tomato, & Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Sun Dried Tomato Feta Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 5.5 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 9.5 oz jar sun dried tomatoes packed in extra virgin olive oil drained, reserving the oil.
- 2 tbsp fresh basil thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare an 8 x 4" loaf pan by using cooking oil spray or lining with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary
- Measure the reserved oil from the tomatoes, then add extra virgin olive oil to make up ½ cup
- In a smaller bowl, whisk eggs, olive oil, and milk
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Fold in feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil.
- Spread batter into baking pan
- Bake in center of oven 50-60 minutes, or top is crusty and golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing