This Farro Salad has a lot going on. Which, is how it should be, in every salad. A great salad has all of the flavour elements, sweet, bitter, sour, salty and umami. (Umami is best described as a savoury, meaty taste. Food examples of umami are mushrooms, soy sauce, miso, or Parmesan cheese). And this farro salad is all that. Sweet grapes, tart pomegranate, bitter endive and radicchio, salty capers, and a little splash of tamari for umami, all add up to a flavour-packed, hearty, and healthy salad. And really, a meal in itself, if you choose.
Add to all this delightful flavour, the textures of chewy, nutty farro, crisp grapes and crunchy radicchio. This farro salad is one of my favourite fall salads, especially since it is incredibly nutritious. This ancient grain is higher in protein than rice, and it's a good source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, niacin, and zinc. Farro is a delicious way to get your whole grains in a salad. I have been really loving cooking with farro for its versatility and nutrition. If you are a fan of farro, you might also like these Farro Stuffed Peppers. Or try Farro Risotto with Winter Squash. And you can learn more about this nutritional powerhouse at The Spruce What is Farro?
About Belgium Endive
Belgium endives are a favourite veggie of mine and one that I don't see often in recipes. They have a slightly bitter taste, that mellows beautifully when roasted, and are delicious when combined with this pomegranate and balsamic dressing. If you aren't familiar with Endive, here's more info on Genius Kitchen: Endive
And pomegranates. Just when this salad can't get any healthier, or more delicious, there are pomegranates. Pomegranates, besides being sweet, tart, pretty, and fun to eat, are extremely nutritious. These fruits pack a ton of fibre, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and potassium. And, it's pomegranate season. Just when we can use a pop of festive colour on our tables, pomegranates make their appearance, and they are at their peak of sweetness now. I love the tart sweetness of the juice and the jewel-like colour of pomegranate arils. They are wonderful in salads and so many other recipes, like this Turkey & Pomegranate Salad with Bacon (think of those turkey leftovers).
Farro Salad – Farro, Pomegranate, Belgium Endive Salad
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 4 Belgium endives trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 small head radicchio sliced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes halved
- juice and seeds of one pomegranate
- ¼ cup capers drained
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse farro under cold running water
- Put in a pot over high heat with water or stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low
- Simmer about 30 minutes
- Drain any excess water and allow farro to cool
- Heat oven to 350° Line a baking sheet with parchment
- Toss Belgium endive with olive oil, and sprinkle with thyme leaves
- Roast in the center of the oven about 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender and slightly brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Toss together farro, radicchio, grapes, pomegranate seeds, and capers
- In a jar, combine extra virgin olive oil, pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper
- Shake jar vigorously, pour over the salad, and toss
- Top salad with Belgium endives and garnish with parsley
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve
SO much to love here. First off, the pictures are spectacular - so vibrant and rich, yet seasonal. I really think you've done a lot to highlight the character of farro while simultaneously avoiding an overly dry/earthy wheat-y salad. But I think I might love the endive most of all - anyone who cooks with and values bitter greens is aces in my books. Awesome recipe, awesome job.
Thank you so much, Sean! Endive is one of my all time fave veggies, glad you like them too. 🙂
I love Farro! It's a perfect fall grain and pairing it with pomegranate is super smart.
Thanks Aimee! It was delicious.
Farro is definitely the new quinoa. This looks like a fantastic recipe.
Thanks Ayngelina! Quinoa is still great, but I'm really loving farro at the moment.
Farro intrigues me. I eat tons of grains but haven't played with Farro yet and I see it every time I visit the Italian Store (which is often). This recipe makes me want to buy it and try it now! Looks delish!
Thanks Wanda! I'm kind of hooked on farro. Give it a try, you probably will be too 🙂
Elaine @Flavour and Savour
Beside the fact that this salad is so healthy, I'm saving it because it's so beautiful, too! Lots of my favourite flavours, in one healthy bowl! Pinned.
Thanks Elaine! I was kind of winging it, always hit or miss, 🙂 but it turned out to be a hit.
What a pretty dish! and tasty looking! Love the pomegranate combination with the endives! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Marie! The combo worked out really well 🙂