This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad is definitely a super salad. It's incredibly nutritious, but just as importantly, it's also super tasty. Creamy roasted sweet potato chunks with nutty quinoa and the crunch of peppers and seeds make a delicious combination. Because, if it isn't delicious, it doesn't matter how healthy it is. Nobody's gonna eat it, right?
Why You're Going to Love This Quinoa Salad
Quinoa makes a delicious and versatile base for salads, like this sweet potatoe and chickpea version, and also this Southwestern Quinoa Salad. This salad bowl is protein-packed. Quinoa supplies a complete source of protein, besides being a great source of folate and iron. All that protein makes this sumptuous salad hearty and filling, fit to stand alone as a meal in itself.
With so many ingredients in one salad, there's a little bit of prep work. But this is a big salad and it's worth it.
There's So Much Nutrition in Quinoa Super Salad
All of the other ingredients in this quinoa salad; sweet potato, carrots, red peppers, spinach and seeds, are also nutritional superstars. This is a bowl full of vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre, along with all kinds of antioxidants.
Sweet Potato, Quinoa Chickpea Salad is a perfect packed lunch
With so much healthy in one bowl, it's a good thing it's so satisfying and tasty, too. And here's another bonus; this sweet potato quinoa chickpea salad keeps very well in the fridge, making an excellent make-ahead option for healthy grab and go lunches. A bowl of this delicious and nourishing salad is perfect for refuelling after a workout.
You can add some feta cheese before serving, but without it, this salad is vegan and gluten-free.
Want More Healthy Grain Salads?
Recipe adapted from Whitewater Cooks, by Shelley Adams
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ cup quinoa + ¾ cup water
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas drained
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves torn into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup parsley chopped
For the Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Poke sweet potato all over with a fork, and bake on rack in center of oven about 45 minutes or until you can pierce with a knife. Allow to cool.
- Remove skin from sweet potato and cut into ½ inch cubes
- While sweet potato is in the oven, cook quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Toss cooled sweet potato cubes, quinoa, chickpeas, seeds, carrot, bell pepper, spinach and parsley together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add dressing to salad and toss everything together.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days