This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad is a definitely a super salad. It’s incredibly nutritious, but just as importantly, it’s also super tasty. Creamy roasted sweet potato chunks with nutty quinoa and the crunch of peppers and seeds make a delicious combination. Because, if it isn’t delicious, it doesn’t matter how healthy it is. Nobody’s gonna eat it, right?
Why You’re Going to Love This Quinoa Salad
This salad bowl is protein packed. Quinoa supplies a complete source of protein, besides being a great source of folate and iron. All that protein makes this sumptuous salad hearty and filling, fit to stand alone as a meal in itself.
With so many ingredients in one salad, there’s a little bit of prep work. But this is a big salad and it’s worth it.
There’s So Much Nutrition in Quinoa Super Salad
All of the other ingredients here; sweet potato, carrots, red peppers, spinach and seeds, are also nutritional superstars. This is a bowl full of vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre, along with all kinds of antioxidants.
Sweet Potato, Quinoa Chickpea Salad is a perfect packed lunch
With so much healthy in one bowl, it’s a good thing it’s so satisfying and tasty, too. And here’s another bonus; this sweet potato quinoa chickpea salad keeps very well in the fridge, making an excellent make ahead option for healthy grab and go lunches. A bowl of this delicious and nourishing salad is perfect for refueling after a workout.
You can add some feta cheese before serving, but without it, this salad is vegan and gluten free.
Want More Healthy Grain Salads?
Recipe adapted from Whitewater Cooks, by Shelley Adams
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on it and end up purchasing the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing great recipes with you.
How to Make Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup quinoa + 3/4 cup water
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
For the Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Poke sweet potato all over with a fork, and bake on rack in center of oven about 45 minutes or until you can pierce with a knife. Allow to cool.
- Remove skin from sweet potato and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- While sweet potato is in the oven, cook quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Toss cooled sweet potato cubes, quinoa, chickpeas, seeds, carrot, bell pepper, spinach and parsley together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add dressing to salad and toss everything together.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days