If you're looking for an easy and delicious side dish, Braised Red Cabbage with Apples is a must try. This delicious recipe is a sweet & sour treat which is great on its own or served with roasted meats and veggies.
Cabbage in general, and red cabbage in particular, is extremely nutritious. This cruciferous vegetable, also called purple cabbage, is packed with antioxidants and high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, many minerals. And it's a good source of fiber.
What's to Love
- Braised red cabbage with apples is a great side dish for pork, chicken, turkey or roast beef. We love it with Pork Chops or Pork Tenderloin, Air Fryer Flank Steak, and Whole Roast Chicken.
- Braising using the slow cooker is so easy. All you have to do is throw everything in and let it cook itself.
- Red cabbage is super healthy, as mentioned above.
- All you need is a handful of ingredients to make this easy recipe.
- This delicious recipe is gluten-free and refined sugar free.
- Red Cabbage 1 medium sized head of cabbage will be about 8 cups, sliced.
- Apples Any tart apple variety works. If your apples are smaller, use an extra one. There is no need to peel them, because the apple peels will break down and soften during the long cooking time.
- Onion A medium yellow onion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Vinegar gives the dish the "sour" in the sweet & sour. Try red wine vinegar if you don't have apple cider vinegar.
- Honey Liquid honey is "sweet" part of sweet & sour. Substitute a vegan sweetener or brown sugar and this recipe is vegan.
- Caraway seeds Caraway seeds are peppery with a hint of licorice and are very aromatic. You can leave them out if you prefer, but they add a nice extra flavor note.
How To Make It
- After slicing the cabbage, onion and apples, simply put all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Combine well, cover and cook 5-6 hours.
How to Slice Cabbage
You can use a food processor to slice cabbage, but it's really easy to do by hand and saves on cleanup.
- To slice a cabbage, first remove the tough outer leaves and discard them. With a sharp knife, slice the cabbage in half.
- Then slice into quarters.
- Use the knife to remove the tough white core from each quarter.
- With cut side down, slice each quarter into thin strips.
Yes. To make this recipe in the oven, preheat the oven to 300°. Put all of the ingredients in a large casserole dish or Dutch oven with a lid. Cook for 2-3 hours, covered, stirring occasionally.
To make this recipe in an instant pot or pressure cooker, start with the sauté function and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the onion and sauté for a minute or two until it begins to soften. Add the remaining ingredients and lock the lid. Turn the steam release valve to "sealing". Press the "manual" button and the time to 5 minutes. Wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure manually.
To make braised cabbage on the stovetop, put all ingredients plus ½ cup water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low until reduced to a simmer. Cover and cook for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Store leftover braised cabbage in the fridge, covered for 2-3 days.
Yes, this recipe freezes well. Cool completely before packing into freezer bags or containers. Freeze for up to two months.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating in the comments below and let us know how it turned out. Did you make any changes? We would love for you to share and your feedback is important! Thank you for visiting The Food Blog!
Braised Red Cabbage & Apples
- 1 head red cabbage cored and sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 apples cored and sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients into the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cook on low 5-6 hours or until cabbage is tender. (times will vary with different slow cookers)
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold