Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls take a classic comfort dish and make it even more comforting. Because the slow cooker is all about comfort food. It’s a wonderful thing to come home to a house filled with mouth-watering aromas and a hot dinner that’s already made. I get a happy feeling just thinking about it as I go about the day. Really, dinner is already ready? When I get home, I don’t have to think about dinner or cook it. How great is that? Slow cookers are the best thing ever invented for kitchens.
Cabbage Rolls, A Big Batch Dish
Homey, humble cabbage rolls are one of those classic, big batch dishes. Big batch because, well, cabbages are big.
Stuffed cabbage dishes are featured in many cultural cuisines. Check some of the many here: International Stuffed Cabbage
However, the cabbage rolls that most Canadians are familiar with are of Ukrainian origin. They are usually a filling of ground meat and rice, rolled up in cabbage leaves. Then you top them with tomato sauce and bake. Cabbage rolls are a delicious staple in many generations of Canadian homes.
Just a Classic Cabbage Roll Recipe
Cabbage roll recipes vary greatly, and many Moms and Grandmas have their own cherished recipe versions. Sometimes they have bacon, ground pork, or turkey. Some versions have different veggies and use different kinds of cabbages.
This recipe is as basic as you can get, but it’s still delicious. You can roll these up on a Sunday, and on Monday morning, plug in the slow cooker for a hearty and satisfying dinner when you get home.
Cabbage Rolls; Softening the Leaves
Although they seem like a lot of work, the only real labour-intensive part of making cabbage rolls is softening the leaves. Which, when you break it down to standing over a pot of boiling water with tongs in hand, it isn’t really hard at all.
And slow cooker cabbage rolls are especially easy because there’s no pre-cooking the filling.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls Are Freezer Friendly
Cabbage rolls are perfect for the freezer, and because it’s a large batch, you’ll even get a bonus extra meal.
That’s another thing that gives me happy feelings. Dinner in the freezer, already cooked and just waiting for me to reheat. Another awesome thing to remember during a busy day.. Sometimes not cooking, is the best cooking.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- 1 cabbage
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- With a sharp knife, core cabbage, and remove the outer layer of leaves
- Add cabbage to boiling water and boil for 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, remove the leaves as they soften, about 2-3 minutes per layer. Transfer leaves to a colander.
- When you have 16 softened cabbage leaves of roughly the same size, set aside while you make the filling.
- In a bowl, combine egg, ground beef, rice onion, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
- To make the rolls, put a couple of tablespoons of filling down the center of each cabbage leaf.
- Fold up the sides and then roll the leaves, placing each roll seam side down in the slow cooker, until you have one layer.
- Cover with tomato sauce mixture.
- Add another layer of cabbage rolls, topping with tomato sauce mixture, and continue.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours