Spiced Rum Grilled Peaches are the ultimate summer dessert. What says summer more than fresh ripe peaches, and grilling?
We're lucky to live in one of the major fruit-growing regions in Canada. According to Statistics Canada, British Columbia produces more fruit than any other province. And the Okanagan Valley is where most of it grows. So we get to enjoy an ongoing bounty beginning in early summer. It starts with the first strawberry crop and stretches through to late fall, ending with apples, pears, and grapes. In between, we get cherries, peaches, apricots, nectarines, and plums.
We take full advantage of all this glorious fresh fruit. Some people are filled with anticipation over the next installment of their favourite TV series. For foodie nerd me, It's the next installment of a new fruit ripening. Sometimes we get gifts from neighbours and friends with back yard fruit trees. (In return, they always receive a few jars of jam, some other treat from my kitchen, or a dinner invite). Other times, we just stop at farm gate stands which are everywhere this time of year.
Savoury Fruit Recipes
Last summer my theme here was using fruit in savoury dishes. I made Balsamic Cherries, Balsamic Cherry, Feta, & Prosciutto Pizza, Grilled Apricot & Arugula Salad, and Grilled Pork & Plum Kebabs, among others. It was so much fun to have a theme and the ideas kept flowing.
Spiced Rum Grilled Peaches: Part of Boozy Fruit Season
This summer, my fruit theme is boozy fruit. Starting with last week's Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream. This time it's these spiced rum grilled peaches. This peachy, boozy dessert is simple and tasty and only takes just a couple of minutes to make. But it will impress the heck out of everyone around your patio table. And it's easy to make a separate batch for the kids. Just leave out the rum (They won't know the difference, and you're not telling, right?).
In the summer, I'm all about seasonal, grilling, and effortless entertaining. This dessert is all that.
Spiced Rum Grilled Peaches – Grilled Peaches Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter melted, plus 2 tbsp more for the pan
- 4 large ripe peaches, cut in half and stone removed
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- mint or basil leaves for garnish
- Heat grill on low
- brush cut halves of peaches with melted butter, and grill, cut side down, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, rum and vanilla in a small bowl
- Remove peaches and place in a cast iron pan, cut side up.
- Spoon rum mixture over the peaches
- Place pan back on the grill, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, until peaches are tender, but not mushy.
- Remove from heat, and from pan, immediately
- Serve warm, with a dollop of whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream and mint or basil leaves for garnish.