Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream is helping us to stay cool today in these sweltering temperatures. Let me tell you, I adore my ice cream maker. When we need ice cream, (yes, need), we have some in 30 minutes. No going out. And in our house, it doesn’t have to be hot outside, because we love ice cream all year round.
Fresh local cherries have started to make their appearance, and I couldn’t wait to get some. They are super sweet and delicious just to snack on, and also in this ice cream. Amaretto, being an almond liqueur, is perfect, since almonds and cherries are a perfect flavour match for each other.
Homemade Ice Cream: Know What You’re Eating
Besides being tasty, the best part of homemade ice cream: we know exactly what’s in it. Which isn’t much. For the most part, just cream, sugar and fruit or maybe some vanilla or cocoa. Because really, those are all you need for delicious cool treats. However, you would never know it when you read the ingredient labels on so many store-bought brands. There are good ones out there, but you really have to check those labels.
What’s in That Ice Cream?
Here’s the list of ingredients on a premium brand of “frozen dairy dessert”: milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, mono and diglycerides, carob bean gum, guar gum, carrageenan, natural flavor, annatto (for color), vitamin A palmitate, tara gum. Check out this NYT article: Ice Cream’s Identity Crisis, for an eye-opener, and a laugh, too. The milk and sugar, yes. But there’s more corn syrup in there than cream! And all the rest of those ingredients? Get outta my ice cream. I don’t want me or my family to eat any of that stuff.
An Ice Cream Machine Can Save You $
Buying an ice cream machine was a good investment, too. It’s paid for itself many times over, because, have you seen the price of store-bought “frozen desserts”? Do you have an ice cream machine? If you do, I would love to hear how it works for you.
No Machine? You Can Make Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream Without One
You can make this Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream easily without a machine, too. However, you will have to wait just a bit longer to enjoy it while your freezer does its job. Just make the recipe and pour it into a freezer-safe container. Put it into the freezer, and every couple of hours, go give it a good stir. Eventually, you’ll get your ice cream. But it’s ok, the wait is worth it!
Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream – Homemade Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Amaretto or any almond liqueur
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh ripe cherries pitted and sliced
- In a mixing bowl combine milk, cream, sugar, vanilla extract, and Amaretto.
- With a hand blender on low setting, blend until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream mixture into the bowl of an ice cream machine.
- Run machine for 25 minutes.
- Turn machine off, and add cherries and their juice.
- Run machine for a further 5 minutes, until cherries are combined and ice cream is slightly pink.
- Serve immediately for a soft serve ice cream, or put into a freezer safe container with a lid and freeze.