I love that these Sriracha Salmon Quesadillas are a great way to use leftover salmon. Quesadillas, just in general, are great for a quick meal for using leftover anything. Or even, when really time-crunched, exhausted, or just lazy, just eat some cheese melted and toasted between two tortillas. For me, the quesadilla is so much better than grilled cheese. I like the crispness of grilled or pan-fried tortillas with melted cheese between them. And salsa on the side. That’s what I make when I’m hungry and by myself and have nobody else to feed. (Sometimes the best times. Because we all need a break from cooking even if we love it.)
Quesadillas are a simple and easy, plus delicious, way to fill up. And the great thing is, you can put just about anything between those tortillas, along with the cheese. Quesadillas will always be a go-to for me. I don’t normally think of salmon when I do quesadillas, though. I especially have always kept salmon away from cheese. And I am, as you have probably learned by hanging out here, a huge fan of salmon. I love cheese, too, who doesn’t? But, salmon and cheese in the same dish have never seemed like a natural combo for me.
Salmon & Cheese Are Delicious in a Quesadilla
But then I had this really good leftover grilled sockeye salmon. And I had these tortillas. And I was hungry. Hangry, in fact. And you can’t make quesadillas without the cheese. Because, then, how do the tortillas hold the filling together? So I had this Monterey cheese hanging out in the fridge and just decided to wing it with a sriracha sauce on the salmon and a little cheese to make those quesadillas. And guess what, it was good. Seriously. So good.
I grabbed some fresh cilantro from my garden. (Cilantro haters, skip this step and get some parsley). Squeezed a fresh lime into a bowl and added a couple of squirts of sriracha hot sauce, then chopped up the cilantro and added that. Tossed the cooked salmon in there. (You can do this with canned salmon, too, by the way). And then grilled that up between two cheese sprinkled tortillas.
Sriracha Salmon Quesadillas
- 12 oz cooked salmon
- 3 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- 1 cup monterey cheese grated
- 8 flour tortillas 6"
- In a bowl, combine salmon, lime juice, sriracha, and cilantro / parsley
- Heat grill to medium high and oil lightly with cooking spray
- Place four of the tortillas on the grill and divide half the cheese evenly over each
- Divide the salmon mixture evenly over each tortilla.
- Divide the remaining cheese over the salmon on each tortilla
- Top each with the remaining tortillas
- Grill until the bottom tortilla is crisp and cheese is melted
- Carefully flip each tortilla and grill the other side as above
- Remove from heat, cut into halves or wedges and serve hot with salsa