Sweet Potato Apple Turkey Bake is the perfect recipe for Thanksgiving leftovers. But, this dish doesn't taste like leftovers. Because, It's just delicious, on it's own. In fact, I would make it, just from scratch, even if I didn't have leftovers. Rogers Foods® has generously supplied me with the products to make this recipe. As usual, all opinions are my own.
Rogers Foods, a local company for me, is a friend of mine, and they send me goodies, sometimes, all wrapped up like the present that they are, of oats, healthy grains, and so much wonderful. I appreciate those wonderful presents, a lot, but, there's only so much breakfast you can do, right?.
So I checked out their website and was intrigued by a recipe that had sweet potato, apples, and turkey. Being me, I of course, just can't just follow a recipe. But I was inspired by those ingredients when I thought about Thanksgiving leftovers.
Oats: The Secret Ingredient
Although I love sweet potatoes, (check out Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry, or Sweet Potato Salmon Frittata), I seriously have never thought to use oats, or an oat blend, in a savory dish where there's gravy. Guess what? It's genius! In the oven, the oats break down and thicken your gravy, even better than flour or other thickeners would do.
Plus, you get a super nutrition boost from the oats just being in there. Besides oats, sweet potato, apples, and lean turkey are nutrition superstar foods. This recipe also uses all fresh herbs, And the texture is awesome.
Thanksgiving: It's All About Being Thankful
One of the "Thanks" part of Thanksgiving, for me, every year, is that we actually get to have this amazing feast with our family and friends, and, then, we have so much abundance of food that we have to "deal with" leftovers.
I am truly thankful to be blessed with (way) more than enough good food to enjoy with my family and friends. If you're here, looking at recipes, I'm pretty sure that you are thankful, too, for this. Happy Thanksgiving, my friends. And, while thanks are being given, I'm also, truly thankful for every one of you.
About This Sweet Potato Apple Turkey Bake
Okay, so this dish is just delicious. Slices of lean turkey breast, layered with apples, and sweet potatoes, are baked in an herb, onion, and oat infused broth. Which makes the whole dish creamy but still not soupy. I'm going to make this again & again.
Oats Are Nutritional Stars
Oats are a nutrient-dense food. They're high in fibre, plus, packed with important minerals and antioxidants, including manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, iron, zinc, and folate. Oats are a good source of B Vitamins, and high amounts of soluble fibre and help maintain healthy cholesterol, blood sugar, and insulin levels.
Find more in-depth information about the nutritional benefits of including oats in our diets here: Food Feature - Oats
How To Include More Oats in Your Diet
Sweet Potato Apple Turkey Bake
- 2 cups chicken stock low sodium
- ¼ cup Rogers Porridge Oats & Healthy Grains
- 1 onion diced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled & cut into ½" slices
- 2 apples unpeeled, cored, and sliced into ½" slices
- 1 lb cooked turkey slices
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Rogers Porridge Oats & Healthy Grains
- 3 tbsp Rogers Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat bring chicken stock, onions, and oats to a boil. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove stock mixture from heat and stir in thyme, sage, salt, & pepper
- Layer sweet potato slices, then apple slices, then turkey slices, in prepared pan.
- Pour chicken stock, oat mixture evenly over layered sweet potato, apples, and turkey
- In a small bowl, stir together topping ingredients
- Spread topping evenly over top of the casserole
- Bake, covered with foil, 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake a further 10-15 minutes, until sweet potatoes and apples are fork tender and topping is golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.