Thai Red Curry Chicken Soup is a hearty and satisfying soup with all of the delicious Thai flavours. It is, quite possibly, my favourite soup. And, I realized I've never made it for The Food Blog.
This post is sponsored by Lilydale®. As always, all opinions are my own.
Using Precooked Chicken Makes this Soup Come Together Fast
I'm partnering with Lilydale®, in celebration of the brand's 75th anniversary, to create a recipe using their poultry products. So, Thai Red Curry Chicken Soup immediately came to mind. And because I love healthy convenience, I knew that Lilydale'®s Oven Roasted Carved Chicken Breast would be a perfect ingredient for this soup.
Because I love the convenience of this chicken. You can put this Thai red curry chicken soup together quickly because the chicken is already roasted and carved for you. And this chicken tastes just like you roasted and carved it yourself. Lilydale® Oven Roasted Carved Chicken Breast is carved from minimally processed, whole chicken breasts with no nitrates.
The chicken is tender and juicy, and also great for salads, sandwiches, or any other chicken recipe. In addition, try it in these recipes, too; Chicken Noodle Soup with Vegetables; Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas; or Chicken Stroganoff. We're even taking some camping with us because you can't beat the convenience.
Locally Sourced is Best
I love buying local, and Lilydale® has been providing Canadians with top quality chicken and turkey products for 75 years. That's pretty local! Their fresh, frozen, fully cooked, and deli products are wholesome, delicious, and one hundred percent from chickens & turkeys raised on Canadian family farms. Learn more by visiting Lilydale.com for product info and more recipes.
About Thai Red Curry
Usually, Thai red curry paste is less spicy than green curry paste. The paste is a combination of dried red chilies with garlic, galangal, lemongrass, peppercorns, salt, coriander seeds, cumin, kaffer lime leaves, and shrimp paste.
Typically, you use a mortar & pestle to combine all of those flavours into a paste. (Although, a food processor would work, too). Then you cook the paste in oil, along with meat, chicken, tofu or fish, as well as vegetables.
Although you can make your own Thai Red Curry paste, you can easily find excellently prepared curry pastes in most grocery stores.
About This Red Curry Chicken Soup
So, I love that this flavourful soup, while usually pretty quick to make, is even quicker to make with Lilydale® Oven Roasted Carved Chicken. Most importantly, this chicken soup is delicious, and a hearty meal in itself. And, it's perfect for a delicious microwave lunch for work the next day, too.
Thai Red Curry Chicken Soup
- Stock Pot
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 4 oz Thai red curry paste
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk full fat
- 4 cups chicken stock reduced sodium
- 3 oz rice noodles
- 7 oz Lilydale®Oven Roasted Carved Chicken Breast cubed
- 3 tbsp fish sauce *see recipe notes
- 2 tbsp lime juice juice of one lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- Thai chile, jalapeno or another chile, thinly sliced optional
- Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat in a stockpot or other large pot
- Add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until translucent
- Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and Thai red curry paste. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Stir in coconut milk, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in chicken stock, bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn off heat, add rice noodles and cover. Let stand about 3 minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water.
- In the soup pot, stir in Lilydale Oven Roasted Carved Chicken Breast cubes, fish sauce, and lime juice. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and basil.
- To serve, add ¼ cup rice noodles to individual bowls, ladle soup over each bowl of noodles, and garnish with additional cilantro leaves. Serve sliced chilies alongside if desired.