Grilled Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts are an easy and delicious way to keep using that spring asparagus, and get back to the grill. Last week, I made a Ham & Asparagus Fritatta, but I still can't get enough asparagus while it's in season. If you are all about asparagus, too, try Asparagus Puffs, or Lemon Pappardelle Asparagus Pasta.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts have become a staple in most kitchens. They are versatile and a great source of lean protein. But it can sometimes be a challenge trying to figure out what to do with them, that you haven't already done a million times before.
Chicken Breast Nutrition
Besides being a lean and lower calorie source of protein, boneless, skinless, chicken breast is an excellent source of B vitamins and several minerals. Get more chicken nutrition info here: General Nutrition Facts About Chicken
Stuffed Chicken Breasts To The Rescue
Chicken breasts are ideal for stuffing. Their mild taste makes them the perfect backdrop for all kinds of flavours. These asparagus stuffed breasts with basil and provolone cheese are delicious on their own, or with the sour cream sauce recipe that's included below.
Grilling Stuffed Chicken Breasts vs Baking
You can roast these asparagus stuffed chicken breasts in the oven, & I'll include those instructions, too. However, I am a big fan of doing these on the grill. First, because nothing beats that golden crust that only the grill can give. Second, when the chicken is cooked quickly over the high heat of a grill, it retains a lot more juice and doesn't get dry, as boneless, skinless breasts are prone to do.
The key to quick, evenly cooked chicken breasts
Chicken breasts cook faster, (thus retaining those juices, as I mentioned above), and more evenly if you pound them to an even thickness. And, they are much easier to wrap around a filling when pounded.
If you like stuffed chicken breasts, you'll probably also love this Spinach, Sun-Dried Tomato, & Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 basil leaves large
- ½ lemon juice & zest
- 12 asparagus spears trimmed
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium-high
- Pound chicken breasts to an even about ½ inch thickness
- Place a slice of cheese in the center of each chicken breast.
- Layer the basil on top of the cheese, then place 3 spears of asparagus on the basil.
- Squeeze lemon over the chicken, and sprinkle with zest
- Roll chicken around the stuffing contents, and use a toothpick to secure them.
- Brush oil on all sides and season with salt & pepper
- Grill with the lid closed about 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Internal temperature should be 165°
- Allow chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Optional Sour Cream Sauce
- In a saucepan, over medium heat whisk ½ cup sour cream, ½ tsp garlic powder, and 2 tbsp white wine, just until heated through.
- Drizzle sauce over cooked chicken.