Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup with lentils is a simple, easy to make, but absolutely delicious soup. And this vegan lentil soup is packed with nutrition too!
It's soup season and the soup's on over here. This carrot ginger soup with lentils is one of our all time favourites.
Here's Why You Will Love This Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup is a delicious recipe when you have a lot of carrots.
- Lentils are a nutritious way to add plant based protein to a vegan soup, and they also give the soup a velvety, creamy texture.
- In spite of this being a vegan and gluten free carrot soup, it's thick and hearty enough to be a meal in itself.
- This delicious soup takes only 30 minutes to cook, and it freezes beautifully.
- Ginger and cumin add the perfect warm spices to balance the sweetness of the carrots.
- Olive Oil You can substitute vegetable oil.
- Carrots Try to find the freshest possible carrots. The more thinly you slice the carrots, the quicker they will cook.
- Celery Again, use the freshest possible celery stalks.
- Onion This recipe uses a medium sized, standard yellow onion. However, you can use any onion that you have on hand, with the exception of red onion.
- Ginger This is after all, a carrot ginger soup, so it's essential to use fresh ginger, not dry powder.
- Garlic Like the ginger, fresh garlic is better than garlic powder.
- Cumin This warm spice adds a nutty, lemony flavour note.
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegetable Stock If you can find a low sodium stock you will have more control over the saltiness. Vegetable stock (or broth) comes in cans, cartons, bullion cubes and powders.
- Orange juice If you have orange juice on hand, great. You can also use the juice of an orange, lemon, or lime. The citrus adds a bright note to the sweetness of the carrots.
- Red Lentils There are red, green, brown, and black varieties of lentils. For a pureed lentil soup, like this recipe and this Red Lentil Soup Recipe the best variety is red, because they break down during cooking.
- Cilantro and Chili flakes These are optional for toppings, but are both complimentary to the flavours in the carrot ginger soup.
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, ginger, cumin and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, carrots and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. (or transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree it.)
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- An immersion blender makes it easy to puree the soup right in the pot. It's a valuable and versatile tool in any kitchen. I have one with a chopper attachment which is perfect for small kitchens. It eliminates the need for space hogging blenders and food processors. (You can get more info here about essential items for small kitchens). However, if you don't have one, you can transfer the soup, in batches to a blender. Allow the soup to cool somewhat before adding batches to the blender, and be sure to have the steam vent opened to prevent soup from splattering.
- The small amount of orange juice can be omitted, or you can use lemon or lime juice instead.
- Substitute coconut milk for some or all of the vegetable stock for an even creamier version.
You can make the soup up to a couple of days ahead. Cool completely, then store it, covered in the fridge. To reheat it, just return it to the pot over medium low. Stir occasionally until it comes to the desired temperature.
Yes! This carrot ginger soup is ideal for meal prep because it does freeze so well. Freeze individual portions in air tight freezer containers for up to 6 months. Tip: freeze individual portions in mason jars. Check out how here: Freezing in Canning Jars 101.
Yes! You can warm up with this soup hot on cold days, or cool down with cold carrot soup on warm days.
Other Soup Toppings to Try
Here we're topping the soup with cilantro and chili flakes. Toppings add interest and flavour enhancement. So although you don't need them to enjoy this delicious vegan carrot ginger soup, there are lots of options. A few suggestions:
- a swirl of hot sauce
- roasted chickpeas
- a swirl of coconut cream
- extra virgin olive oil
- roasted peanuts or cashews
- goldfish crackers
Want More Vegan Soup Recipes?
Try these recipes, too!
Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger root peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 lb carrots peeled and sliced
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 ½ cups split red lentils rinsed
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- Red pepper flakes optional, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add stock, lentils, and carrots and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until carrots and lentils are tender. Stir in the orange juice.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot. Alternatively, you can transfer it in batches to a blender or food processor. If you are using a blender, allow the soup to cool somewhat first, and keep the steam hatch open on the blender lid.
- Serve hot, garnished with parsley or red pepper flakes
This soup is so warm and comforting 💗 I love that it is vegan for my dairy free boys and myself. Love it!
Hi Chandice! It's great to hear that you and your boys love this delicious soup! Thanks for your comment!
I love making this soup. It is so creamy and flavorful, you have not idea it would be so healthy.
I'm so glad you love it, Katie! Isn't it great when something is healthy as well as tasty?
We just loved this soup! The lentils added a nice heartiness, and the ginger added such a wonderful flavor for fall.
I'm happy to hear this Amanda. I appreciate your comment, thank you!
Carrot and ginger are such a lovely combo. Made this soup and was a big hit with my family. The red pepper flakes add a nice kick too.
Hi Adriana, I'm so happy to hear that this soup was a hit with your family! Thanks for your comment!
the lentils in this soup are so hearty it makes it a full meal perfect for a weeknight dinner or even lunch
So true Heather! I'm so happy you enjoyed this yummy soup!
The color of this soup is amazing and it looks so creamy. Interesting you added lentils and orange juice, which makes this nice and hearty. Got to try this recipe.
You'll love it, Jere!
I love carrot soup, but have never tried a carrot ginger soup! Sounds lovely!
Hi Liz, sounds like you need to try this soup then!
This soup is the perfect combination of carrots, ginger and red lentils. The best part is that I'm providing lots of nutrition to my family in one tasty soup!
Hi Marcellina, I love that this soup is so nutritious, as well as delicious. So glad you & your family do too!
made this tonight and everyone loved it! I saved a big batch in the freezer too!
So nice to hear this Nancy!
I love a good soup recipe! So easy and so delicious! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome, Megan. So happy you loved it!
This vegan ginger carrot soup is so comforting, I love that extra flavor from ginger and yes very easy too.
I agree, Jean! It's such a comforting soup. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it!
Maria San Juan
Healthy and clean! Love this recipe! Will try this on days I am detoxifying!
Hi Maria, you'll love it. Enjoy!
This is a great way to get your veggies in with this soup. I love how you can freeze this too!
I love having it in the freezer too, Mirlene!
This seems like a very hearty recipe! I think my kids are going to love this, looks very healthy too.
Hi Maria, This soup is a favorite with all the kids in our family. I hope it is with yours, too.
I loved how healthy and delicious this soup is! Really amazing!
Thanks Toni! I'm so happy you loved the soup!