Sweet Potato Soup is one of our favourite one-pot comfort foods. In fact, soup is one of our favourite things to eat, period. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than a big pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove. Because soup is so easy to make. Basically, you can really just throw everything in a pot and let it simmer while you do other things. Or do nothing if you're feeling lazy. And then there's lunch. Or dinner, because this soup is satisfying, as well as delicious.
This sweet potato soup with black beans and corn has a southwestern slant with the addition of a chipotle pepper and a little of the smoky adobo sauce the peppers are packed in. Chipotle is a pantry staple in my kitchen because we love the smoky spicy. The small cans actually contain quite a few peppers but will keep in the fridge in a covered container for several weeks. Then you can use the leftover chillies in another recipe, like this Tequila Chicken Chilli. Chipotle peppers are really just smoked jalapeno peppers. Find out more about them, (and even a link for making your own), here at Huff Post: What The Heck is a Chipotle, Anyway. If you want less heat, remove the seeds from the chilli, before adding it to the soup. Keep them if you like it spicier, or, add another chilli.
Grilling Corn For Soup
I like to grill an ear of fresh corn for this recipe. A bit of smoky char really adds a delicious flavour element, but if you don't have fresh corn, frozen will work, too. This soup is not only delicious but also healthy, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. The black beans make this sweet potato soup a hearty meal.
Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans and Corn
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 can black beans drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock low sodium
- juice of one lime
- 3 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes (four cups)
- kernels from one ear of fresh corn grilled (about 1 cup)
- 1 chipotle pepper seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are tender about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro.