Sweet Potato Mushroom Skillet is an anytime recipe. An egg skillet works well for a weekend breakfast, a brunch, a lunch or even a breakfast for dinner recipe.
One Pan Meals
We are a fan of one-pan meals in our house. Life is busy, but we still want healthy, delicious, home-cooked food after a long and hectic day. What we don’t want is a complicated dish with all kinds of clean up. One-pan is where it’s at. Or, we want this on a lazy weekend morning. However you have it, this sweet potato, mushroom & egg skillet will make you happy.
Sweet Potato or Yam?
Do you ever wonder what the difference is between a sweet potato and a yam? It can get confusing because grocery stores interchangeably call them all yams, sweet potatoes, and vice versa. However, a yam and a sweet potato are two very different veggies. They’re both highly nutritious, but, orange coloured sweet potatoes are what we commonly think of as yams. This recipe is using them. Check out this post to get more in-depth info on these two delicious, healthy veggies: Yams Vs Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Nutrition
This delightful skillet meal is packed with nutrition. Starting with the sweet potato. It goes without saying that sweet potatoes are a nutritional superfood. Sweet potatoes, of course, are one of the best sources of Vitamin A. They are also excellent sources of fibre, Vitamin C and potassium. In other words, sweet potatoes are really good for us.
About this Sweet Potato Mushroom Skillet
What I love about this dish? Most importantly, it’s delicious, of course, as well as nutrient-packed. And besides being perfect for any time of day, it’s easy to throw together. In short, what’s not to love?
Breakfast doesn’t have to be the same bacon & eggs or cereal routine. It’s a great meal to get creative with. For instance, try Bacon & Egg Breakfast Tacos, or Blueberry Coconut Waffles. And, for busy weekday mornings: Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
How to Make Sweet Potato Mushroom Skillet
Sweet Potato Mushroom Breakfast Skillet
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sweet potato, shallots, garlic, basil, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove cover and Increase heat to medium, cooking until most of the liquid has reduced about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper, and add the spinach, stirring until spinach is wilted.
- Make four evenly spaced indentations with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each indent.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes more, until eggs are just set.
- Garnish with parsley, and serve.