These Peach Whisky Chicken Kebabs are a truly summertime meal. Fresh ripe local peaches and grilling are summer essentials.
And as usual, I find myself with a lot of peaches. Way too many, in fact. So besides eating them as is, I’m trying to use them up. They won’t fit in my fridge, so using them up until they do is a necessity.
Where I live, orchardists have been growing peaches since the 1800s. The climate here is prime for peach growing, and the harvest starts in mid-July and ends in late August. There are many varieties of peaches, way too many to list. If you’re interested though, or, are just interested in exploring this beautiful little corner of this world, check out Okanagan Peach Varieties
Freestone Vs Cling Peaches
All of the peach varieties fall under Freestone or Cling varieties. Just like it sounds, the flesh of a freestone peach easily separates from its stone, while a cling is more difficult. Cling peaches are perfect for eating fresh, and many of them are very sweet and juicy. But for recipes, canning, and preserves, I like the ease of using freestones. So, if you plan to make these yummy kebabs, look for freestones.
About Grilling Fruit
Like so many stone fruits, peaches are delicious when grilled. They also love to be paired with bourbon. Bourbon and peaches have a long and delicious history. And tempering their peachy sweetness with a hint of spice is always a delicious idea. That was the plan when I thought about these kebabs. Threading dinner onto sticks is always a fun way to cook it, too.
Keep in mind, peaches are a soft, delicate fruit, and will go mushy if cooked for too long. That’s why this recipe is using boneless, skinless chicken breast, which cooks up fairly quickly.
Can You Make Kebabs Ahead?
One thing I love about these peach whiskey chicken kebabs is that you can marinate, and make them ahead, then throw them on the grill for entertaining. While you hang out with your guests instead of in the kitchen. Because, really, that’s the other thing summer is all about right? Serve with a fresh garden salad.
Want more ideas for fruit on the grill? Try Spiced Rum Grilled Peaches, Grilled Pork & Plum Kebabs, or Grilled Apricot & Arugula Salad. And if you are a fan of kebabs, check out Grilled Asian Salmon Kebabs or Lemon Garlic Grilled Shrimp.
Peach Whisky Chicken Kebabs
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded, cored and minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for the grill
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2" cubes
- 2 ripe peaches pits removed and cut into 2" cubes
- 1/2 red onion sliced into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- In a bowl, whisk together bourbon, maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno
- Put chicken cubes in a zip lock bag, and pour marinade over, making sure the chicken is covered
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours
- Remove chicken, discarding marinade
- Heat grill to medium-high, and spray with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil
- On wooden skewers, thread chicken cubes, peach, and onion pieces, alternating
- Grill 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally
- Remove from grill and sprinkle with thyme leaves before serving