This Roasted Chili Corn Salsa is a copycat version of the one from Chipotle Mexican Grill. If you have enjoyed this delicious salsa at the restaurant, or even if you haven't ever tried it, be prepared to love this roasted corn salsa recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
- This copycat chipotle corn salsa recipe has to much fresh flavor, but you only need 7 simple ingredients to make it!
- Lots of flavor here! The sweetness of the corn is perfectly balanced with the smoky poblano peppers and spicy jalapeno peppers, while lime juice and cilantro bring freshness.
- You can control the spice level, as well as the sodium.
- Corn Like Chipotle's chili-corn salsa, this recipe is using frozen corn. You don't need to cook the frozen corn, simply defrost it. You can also use fresh corn. (See Helpful Tips, below.) Chipotle’s corn salsa has white corn, but I'm using yellow corn instead because I like the color.. I don't recommend using canned corn. The salsa just won't be as fresh and crisp.
- Poblano Pepper Also called a pasilla chili. Poblano peppers are mild green Mexican chili peppers. They're about as large as a bell pepper, but longer and skinnier. If you can't find a poblano pepper, Anaheim peppers or hatch chilis are good substitutions, but keep in mind they can be spicier. If you don't want spicier corn salsa, use green bell peppers.
- Jalapeno Pepper Once you remove the seeds and white pith, jalapenos are only mildly spicy. This recipe has two good sized jalapenos. If you prefer less heat, use just one or omit.
- Red Onion Red onion is great for raw eating like in salads and salsas.
- Cilantro If you are not a fan of cilantro, Italian parsley is a good substitute.
- Lime Juice The citrus juice of choice for Mexican dishes. Use two limes if your lime doesn't yield two tablespoons of juice.
- Salt Kosher salt is nice but any salt will do.
How to Roast a Poblano Chili
There are 3 ways to roast a chili pepper:
If you have a gas stove, hold the pepper over the open flame with tongs. Keep turning until all sides have blistered, then blackened.
Pre heat the grill to high or 400% Put the poblano pepper over direct heat on the grill. Keep turning until the skin is blistered and blackened on all sides.
Preheat the broiler on high. Put the pepper on a baking sheet directly under the broiler. Turn until the whole poblano is blackened.
How to Make Roasted Chili Corn Salsa
- Roast the poblano pepper
- Cover and allow the poblano to steam
- Remove the skin, seeds, and stem. Chop.
- Toss the corn, poblano, jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro together in a large bowl.
- Add lime juice and salt and stir to combine.
- Most of the heat in chili peppers is contained in the white membrane. To remove a lot of the spice in the jalapeno pepper for this recipe, remove the membrane, or pith, along with the seeds, before dicing.
- If you would like it spicier, you can add another jalapeno.
- Take your frozen corn out to thaw before you begin.
- Thaw frozen corn quickly by putting it in a colander or sieve, and running it under cold water.
- If you want to use fresh corn, first cook the cobs in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Rinse the cooked corn cobs under cold water until they are cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, slice the corn kernels from the cob. Here's an easy tip for getting corn off the cob. You'll need 4 or 5 ears of corn.
- While your poblano pepper is steaming, chop the jalapenos, onion and cilantro.
- The salsa will taste even better if you refrigerate it for a couple of hours before using it.
The Corn salsa at Chipotle's is one of their mildest salsas. Making it at home means you can make it as mild or spicy as you like.
Corn is high in carbs and this salsa is not keto diet friendly.
You can keep roasted chili corn salsa in the fridge, in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
You can enjoy roasted chili-corn salsa with tortilla chips or corn chips. It's delicious in burrito bowls, taco salads, lettuce wraps, and any kind of tacos, including breakfast tacos, and nachos. We even love putting our homemade salsa on hot dogs, burgers, and scrambled eggs!
You can also serve this easy copycat recipe as a side dish. It's a perfect side for steaks, chicken, pork or fish.
Roasted Chili Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat)
- 1 poblano pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn defrosted
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 jalapenos seeded and finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or flat leafed parsley
- 1-2 Limes juice of
- 1 teaspsoon kosher salt
- Heat the grill to high or 400°
- Put the poblano pepper directly over the heat. Use tongs to turn the pepper so that the skin blisters and blackens on all sides.
- Immediately transfer the poblano to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the poblano is steaming, chop the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- After 15 minutes, remove the roasted poblano pepper from the bowl. Use your hands or paper towels to remove the skin, which will slip off easily. Discard the skin.
- Remove the seeds and stem from the poblano and chop
- Put the poblano along with the corn, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro and toss everything together.
- Add lime juice and salt, and toss again to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour for best results.
This was such a great addition to our taco tuesday! We loved this as a dip and I added it to tacos! Delicious and easy!
It's great to hear that this chili corn salsa was a great addition to your tacos, Kathryn. (My favorite way to enjoy it) Thanks so much for your comment!
This was super delicious with some tortilla chips and a beer out on the deck! Perfect for summer!
That sounds like the perfect way to enjoy this chili corn salsa, Vanessa! Cheers to summer!
this Roasted Chili Corn Salsa is perfect for summer and meal preps! I love the flavour and now i know exactly what is in the salad without having to spend so much money ordering it at Chipotle
I'm so happy that you love the flavor, Nancy!
Loreto and Nicoletta
We love making corn salsas. I too grill and charr the corn and peppers. It adds such a lovely flavor adding that slight smokiness to the sweetness of the corn! A great summer picnic side! Thanks for sharing!😋🥰
A perfect accompaniment to a big bowl of guac and tortilla chips! I'm making it again to go with halibut tacos!
Halibut tacos sounds amazing, Elaine! The chili corn salsa will be perfect for that. Enjoy!
Well, I've never been to a Chipotle's before but you had me at roasted poblanos. Once I get my hands on some fresh ones, I'll be making this tempting salsa. It has all the flavours I adore.
I think you'll love it, Bernice. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious! Exactly like Chipotles, love the balance of the peppers and the lime!
This is great to hear, Peter! Thanks for your feedback!
This salsa is so delicious. Love the spice and the bright colours! Will be making it again very soon as a side for some fish tacos.
I'm so happy that you loved this corn salsa, Asha! Thanks for commenting!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate
I love this Chipotle favorite! How great that I can make it at home and I can enjoy it anytime I like! This is wonderful!
Hi Patricia! This copycat recipe is so easy and so close to the Chipotle version. Enjoy!
I know that this recipe is going to be made in repeat in my house this summer. Thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
You're so welcome, Cathleen! This corn salsa is so good. Enjoy!
This salsa is the perfect addition to any barbecue! We fell in love with its smoky, spicy flavor and served it on top of grilled chicken and fish. It's now a summer BBQ staple.
I'm thrilled that you fell in love with this recipe, Linda. Your feedback is appreciated!
The poblano pepper gives just the right amount of smoky spice to this fabulous salsa. it's perfect for game day or any get together.
Hi Kathleen! I'm so happy that you loved the corn salsa. Thanks for commenting!
I always request more of these when I go to Chipotle but making my own with your recipe is way better! Sweet and spicy is how i like the corn salsa over my tacos!
Hi Mirlene, we love this salsa on tacos, too. Thanks for your feedback!
This is the best recipe for summer, the perfect addition to dinner and so fresh and flavorful!
So great to hear that you loved the corn salsa, Caitlin!
This homemade salsa is a million times better than store bought! Can't beat choosing your own fresh veggies and preparing with this delicious recipe!
Hi Holley, I'm so happy that you loved this corn salsa. Thanks for letting me know!
Ooooh I love those roasted flavors! Such a fantastic copycat and summertime recipe. Looks so good.
I’ve had this corn salsa before eating out and loved it. Can’t wait to try it at home.