I’m a really big fan of easy one-pan meals, and this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is one of my favourites to make. Chicken thighs are full of flavour and stay juicer than breasts, plus they’re economical, too.
Chicken Breasts vs Chicken Thighs
I’m using boneless, skinless chicken thighs here. You can use chicken breasts instead, but I prefer thighs for the flavour and juiciness they bring to many dishes. Both the chicken breasts and thighs around the same nutritional value, but thighs have a little more fat. (Which, is of course, why they are juicier and tastier). Check out this article: Breasts vs Thighs to find out more about the differences.
Simple Ingredients, Simply Prepared
If you love to cook, it losing yourself in the kitchen creating an elaborate dish can be enjoyable and rewarding. In can be therapeutic to put in the effort required to create something amazing, especially when there are hungry people waiting to appreciate the end result. But that isn’t all the time. You don’t need kitchen therapy every day. We’re all busy, so it’s nice to keep things simple. And if your ingredients are fresh, simple will make them shine as the stars of the dish. Less work, less cleanup, less time. Simple.
This quick and easy skillet chicken is a delicious example of simplicity, using just fresh rosemary, lemon, and garlic to create a pan full of juicy chicken and crisp potatoes. There is also an optional touch of heat in the form of a pinch of red pepper flakes. Going from the stovetop to the oven in one pan, this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is ready in 30 minutes. Did I say less time? 30-minute meals are my favourite for busy weeknights, and this delicious skillet chicken & potatoes is right at the top of the list.
Rosemary Skillet Chicken
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes halved
- 2 tsp coarse sea or Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 2 lemons reserving the squeezed halves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs skinless boneless
- Preheat oven to 450. Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, shaking in a colander to rough the potatoes up a bit. Set aside.
- Put salt, rosemary leaves, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle, process into a paste. Add the juice of one lemon and the olive oil to combine.
- Heat a 12" oven-safe non-stick skillet, or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. (If using cast-iron, add a tbsp of olive oil).
- Add the chicken to the skillet, and pour the rosemary/lemon mixture over it, turning to coat. Brown chicken, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add potatoes to the skillet, and toss them around until they start to turn golden. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken and potatoes. Add the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves to the skillet.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.