I’m a really big fan of easy one pan meals, and this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is one of my favourites to make. Chicken thighs are full of flavour and stay juicer than breasts, plus they’re economical, too.
I’m using boneless, skinless chicken thighs here. You can use chicken breasts instead, but I prefer thighs for the flavour and juiciness they bring to many dishes. Both the chicken breasts and thighs around the same nutritional value, but thighs have a little more fat. (Which, is of course, why they are juicier and tastier). Check out this article: Breasts vs Thighs to find our more about the differences.
Once in a while I enjoy losing myself in the kitchen creating an elaborate dish. I sometimes find it therapeutic to put in the effort required to create something amazing, especially when there are hungry people waiting to appreciate the end result. But that’s only once in a while. I don’t need therapy every day. Most days I like to keep things simple. And iff your ingredients are fresh, simple will make them them shine as the stars of the dish. And simple is less work.
This quick and easy skillet chicken is a delicious example of simplicity, using just fresh rosemary, lemon, and garlic to create a pan full of juicy chicken and crisp potatoes. There is also an optional touch of heat in the form of a pinch of red pepper flakes. Going from the stove top to the oven in one pan, this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is ready in 30 minutes.
How to Make Rosemary Skillet Chicken
Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary make this easy Skillet Chicken & Potatoes a deliciously simple and healthy dinner.
- 1 pound small red skinned potatoes halved
- 2 tsp course sea or Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 2 lemons reserving the squeezed halves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs skinless boneless
Preheat oven to 450. Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain potatoes, shaking in a colander to rough the potatoes up a bit. Set aside.
- Put salt, rosemary leaves, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle, process into a paste. Add the juice of one lemon and the olive oil to combine.
Heat a 12" oven safe non-stick skillet, or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. (If using cast iron, add a tbsp of olive oil).
Add the chicken to the skillet, and pour the rosemary/lemon mixture over it, turning to coat. Brown chicken, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add potatoes to the skillet, and toss them around until they start to turn golden. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken and potatoes. Add the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves to the skillet.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
This recipe is easy to increase, or even double. Use more chicken pieces for a hungrier group, and add more potatoes.
You can use chicken breasts instead of thighs, or chicken pieces. A side of steamed green beans or brocolli is a perfect accompaniment.