Air Fryer Beets are roasted to sweet and tender perfection in half the time as oven roasting. These easy roasted beets are a delicious side dish, or addition to a salad.
I love to use the air fryer for roasting vegetables because they cook up quickly and are never dried out or mushy. You can cook almost any vegetables in the air fryer. Besides root vegetables like this air fryer beets recipe, you can cook butternut squash, asparagus, carrots, mixed veggies, and more. You can find more air fryer veggie side dish recipes here: 21 Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes.
Why Roast Beets in the Air Fryer?
- This easy air fryer beet recipe is much faster than oven roasting.
- When you air fry beets you retain more nutrients.
- This easy recipe is a great way to get a healthy side dish on the table fast.
- Roasted beets are a great side dish and even a healthy snack, and they can be used in all kinds of recipes. (See serving suggestions below).
- The air fryer won't heat up your kitchen on hot summer days. No need to turn on the oven.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Fresh Beets I am using red beets, but you can also use any of the different varieties of beet, like golden beets, which have yellow flesh, and Chioggia, or candy cane beets which have white flesh with red stripes.
- Olive Oil I use extra virgin olive oil, and sometimes avocado oil.
- Salt & Pepper
How to Roast Beets in the Air Fryer
It couldn't be easier! (Complete instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post).
- Peel the beets and cut them into one inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the beet cubes with oil, salt & black pepper.
- Put them in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- To peel beets first give them a scrub under running water, and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the stem and root ends off and discard. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets so that the pieces are all about the same size so that the pieces will cook evenly. If you cut them larger than the suggested 1-inch cubes, the beets will need a longer cooking time.
- Wash your hands and cutting board immediately to avoid beet juice stains. If you still have staining on your hands, use lemon juice to remove it. You can wear gloves if you prefer, but I find that moving quickly to wash your hands usually works.
- Air fryer beets can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If your raw beets have greens still attached, don't throw them away. The beet greens are delicious, similar to Swiss chard. Try them quickly pan fried like this: Sautéed Beet Greens.
Frequently Asked Questions
The beets need to be peeled before roasting them if they are cut into pieces like they are in this air fryer recipe. If you are roasting whole beets, there is no need to peel them until after they are roasted.
Yes, for oven roasted beets, spread the oiled and seasoned beets on a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes at 400°, or until they are fork tender. Turn halfway through.
You can freeze roasted beets. However, I would only do this if I were freezing them to use in a recipe like this Beet Soup Recipe, because the texture will change.
Serve air fryer roasted beets as a side dish with your favorite protein. They go great with chicken, pork, beef, or fish.
Garnish roasted beets with any fresh herb like thyme, dill, or parsley. You can also sprinkle the cooked beets with crumbled feta cheese, chopped walnuts, or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Although I seasoned this recipe very simply with just salt and pepper, you can also squeeze lemon or orange juice over the beets before air frying. Or use any dried herbs. Italian seasoning or lemon pepper are other tasty ways to season the beets. A pinch of red pepper flakes will add a touch of spice to balance the natural sweetness of the beets.
Air fryer beets can be used to make salads, like Roasted Beet and Apple Salad, or Beet Pistachio & Orange Salad. Or try them in Roasted Beet Hummus.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating in the comments below and let us know how it turned out. Did you make any changes? We would love for you to share and your feedback is important!
Air Fryer Beets
- 1 pound beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel beets before cutting into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl toss the beet pieces with the oil, salt and pepper to coat
- Preheat air fryer to 400°
- Add beets to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for twenty minutes, shaking halfway through, or until fork tender.
I just got an air fryer ( haven't used it yet) but since I love using roasted beets in salads am going to try this airfryer method this weekend. I want to try your roasted beet hummus too!
Hi Jacqueline! I know you will love your air fryer. It's a game changer! Enjoy the roasted beets, and the hummus is a delicious way to use them.
Oh we love love love beets and this was such a fun way to make beets. So so delicious, thanks for another great recipe. Especially one that gets my girls to eat beets!
You're welcome Tracy! It's great that your girls are eating healthy beets!
I just bought an Air fryer and I can’t wait to try this recipe in it. I bet it will be a lot easier than broiling !
You'll love cooking beets, and just about everything else in your new air fryer, Nancy!
I never knew you could put beets in the air fryer until now! That's amazing since we love beets. Can't wait to make this for a beet salad!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
I love this! I'm always looking for more things to make inn my air fryer and these beets were fantastic! Sweet tender and minimal.clean up.
Hi Cindy! I'm always trying new things in the air fryer, too. I'm glad the beets turned out perfect for you!
Loved how quickly these delicious beets roasted compared to the traditional oven method. Will be using these great tips again in the future.
Hi Asha. I'm glad you loved cooking beets in your air fryer. It's such a great appliance.
So. Much. Faster! I often avoid cooking beets, even though I love them, because they take so long to cook. Air fryer to the rescue! I won't be cooking them any other way again!
So glad to hear this, Elaine!
Enjoyed these with dinner last night and they did not disappoint! So quick and easy, even my picky eaters gobbled these up!
So happy to hear that your picky eaters enjoyed the air fryer beets, Sara! Thanks for commenting
Love that I don't need to heat up the oven to roast beets! These were fantastic and perfect to make a very and goat cheese salad with!
Hi Vanessa, I always love goat cheese on roasted beets. I'm happy to hear the beets were perfect for your salad.
BEets are one of my favorite vegetables. I love the bite they have and I love the way they mellow when you cook them.
Love adding roasted beets to my salads...never tried in my air fryer! Turned out perfectly.
Delicious addition to a salad! I love any use of the air fryer instead of turning on the oven this time of year.
Hi Hailey! Yes, the air fryer is the best way to roast beets in the summertime. Enjoy!
You know, I'd never considered using my air fryer to roast beets!
I love using roasted beets on salad, but hate running the oven in summer. Thanks for solving THAT problem for me!
Always happy to solve a problem, Marie!
Whipped up these beets and used them both in a quinoa salad and a pasta, so delicious and so easy to use!
Both of those choices sound delicious, Shelby!
Beets are so pretty and healthy!!! I love it when I come across any recipe that features them! This one certainly makes it easier than ever to serve them as the perfect side dish....why didn't I think of the air fryer before? Lol. Thank you 🙂
You're so welcome, Jessica! Enjoy!
I will never roast beets any other way! Wow, they were good and so easy to make!
I'm happy to hear this, Dennis!