Air Fryer Beets are roasted to sweet and tender perfection in half the time as oven roasting. These easy roasted beets are a delicious side dish, or addition to a salad.
I love to use the air fryer for roasting vegetables because they cook up quickly and are never dried out or mushy. You can cook almost any vegetables in the air fryer. Besides root vegetables like this air fryer beets recipe, you can cook butternut squash, asparagus, carrots, mixed veggies, and more. You can find more air fryer veggie side dish recipes here: 21 Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes.
Why Roast Beets in the Air Fryer?
- This easy air fryer beet recipe is much faster than oven roasting.
- When you air fry beets you retain more nutrients.
- This easy recipe is a great way to get a healthy side dish on the table fast.
- Roasted beets are a great side dish and even a healthy snack, and they can be used in all kinds of recipes. (See serving suggestions below).
- The air fryer won't heat up your kitchen on hot summer days. No need to turn on the oven.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Fresh Beets I am using red beets, but you can also use any of the different varieties of beet, like golden beets, which have yellow flesh, and Chioggia, or candy cane beets which have white flesh with red stripes.
- Olive Oil I use extra virgin olive oil, and sometimes avocado oil.
- Salt & Pepper
How to Roast Beets in the Air Fryer
It couldn't be easier! (Complete instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post).
- Peel the beets and cut them into one inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the beet cubes with oil, salt & black pepper.
- Put them in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- To peel beets first give them a scrub under running water, and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the stem and root ends off and discard. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets so that the pieces are all about the same size so that the pieces will cook evenly. If you cut them larger than the suggested 1-inch cubes, the beets will need a longer cooking time.
- Wash your hands and cutting board immediately to avoid beet juice stains. If you still have staining on your hands, use lemon juice to remove it. You can wear gloves if you prefer, but I find that moving quickly to wash your hands usually works.
- Air fryer beets can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If your raw beets have greens still attached, don't throw them away. The beet greens are delicious, similar to Swiss chard. Try them quickly pan fried like this: Sautéed Beet Greens.
Frequently Asked Questions
The beets need to be peeled before roasting them if they are cut into pieces like they are in this air fryer recipe. If you are roasting whole beets, there is no need to peel them until after they are roasted.
Yes, for oven roasted beets, spread the oiled and seasoned beets on a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes at 400°, or until they are fork tender. Turn halfway through.
You can freeze roasted beets. However, I would only do this if I were freezing them to use in a recipe like this Beet Soup Recipe, because the texture will change.
Garnish roasted beets with any fresh herb like thyme, dill, or parsley. You can also sprinkle the cooked beets with crumbled feta cheese, chopped walnuts, or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Although I seasoned this recipe very simply with just salt and pepper, you can also squeeze lemon or orange juice over the beets before air frying. Or use any dried herbs. Italian seasoning or lemon pepper are other tasty ways to season the beets. A pinch of red pepper flakes will add a touch of spice to balance the natural sweetness of the beets.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating in the comments below and let us know how it turned out. Did you make any changes? We would love for you to share and your feedback is important!
Air Fryer Beets
- 1 pound beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel beets before cutting into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl toss the beet pieces with the oil, salt and pepper to coat
- Preheat air fryer to 400°
- Add beets to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for twenty minutes, shaking halfway through, or until fork tender.