Breakfast Taquitos are a make-ahead, freezer-friendly breakfast that the whole family will love. This post is sponsored by Lilydale®. As always, all opinions are my own.
Back to Routine
Summertime, with its long lazy days, vacations, beach days, road trips, and picnics are over for another year. It's that time of year when we get back to work and school, back to routines, back to regular, healthy meals.
Back to routine means back to the busy-ness and bustle of trying to fit everything into the week, and it can be a challenge to fit healthy meals into it all. That's why it's great to plan ahead, and why I'm partnering with Lilydale® to use their Breakfast Chicken Sausages for these breakfast taquitos.
Lilydale® has been providing Canadians with quality poultry products for over 75 years. Although they have a wide variety of products; fresh, frozen and fully cooked, like their Oven Roasted Carved Chicken Breast Strips that I used in this recipe for Thai Red Curry Chicken Soup, and we especially love Lilydale's® breakfast sausage. They have both chicken and turkey breakfast sausage available, and I'm using chicken breakfast sausage for these breakfast taquitos.
Why Chicken Breakfast Sausage?
First of all, because it tastes delicious. Secondly, Lilydale® Breakfast Chicken Sausages have no nitrites, 35% less fat, and 35% fewer calories than regular pork breakfast sausage.
What is a Taquito?
Taquito is a Mexican dish, and the name, taquito, means "little taco". It's a small tortilla wrapped around a filling of meat, cheese, or chicken and then deep-fried. The name is used interchangeably with Flautas, but technically the two are different. Taquitos are made with corn tortillas, while flauta are made using flour tortillas.
Baked, Not Deep Fried Taquitos
Deep-Fried Taquitos are, of course, delicious. However, to keep this a healthy breakfast option, I am baking the breakfast taquitos. In the oven, they become crisp and golden. And because I'm using lean Lilydale® chicken breakfast sausage, they are not greasy at all.
One of the best things about this recipe is that you can make a big batch, bake them up, and freeze them cool. Perfect for those busy weekday mornings, because a healthy and delicious breakfast is waiting for you. Just microwave until warm.
Not Just For Breakfast
Although these taquitos are delicious for breakfast, they are also a perfect after school snack, and a low carb, high protein post-workout bite. And if you, like we do, occasionally love a breakfast for dinner night, these are delicious alongside a salad and some guacamole for dipping.
Get More Inspiration
Head on over to Lilydale's® website recipe page for ideas on how you can use their products for all of life's moments, big and small.
- 375 gram Lilydale® Breakfast Chicken Sausage 1 package
- 5 eggs large
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup spinach leaves chopped
- 10 corn tortillas
- salt & pepper, to taste
- cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Place sausages on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake sausages 20 minutes, turning halfway through
- While sausage is cooking, whisk the eggs, and scramble them over medium heat.
- Once cooked, slice sausages
- Put tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Warm in the microwave about 1 minute until pliable
- Assemble the taquitos: Divide the eggs, cheese, sausage, and spinach over the tortillas
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roll each tortilla around the filling and place, seam side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly brush with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. (This will keep them from cracking)
- Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes
- Serve with salsa and/or guacamole