This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Recipe is so perfect for the crisp fall days that are on their way. Soup season is here. One of the best parts of fall, for me, is making homemade soup.
I love to make soup. I love how versatile it is, how deliciously comforting it can be, and, best of all, how you can turn healthy ingredients into a wondrous bowl of yummy, in no time at all.
The Versatile Cauliflower
Cauliflower is an ingredient that is a must in my kitchen. This humble member of the cruciferous family of veggies is versatile, delicious, and so good for us. Other cruciferous veggies include broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and kale.
Nutrition Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower packs a powerful nutrition punch. It’s high in Vitamin C, and a good source of protein, niacin, thiamine, potassium, manganese, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, and folate, to name a few.
As well, the antioxidants in cruciferous veggies like cauliflower help protect your body from cancer and heart disease. For more info on the benefits of eating cauliflower, check out Cauliflower Health Benefits.
About the After Effects of Cauliflower
All of the amazing health benefits of cauliflower and other cruciferous veggies do have one downside. Especially if your system is not used to eating high fibre, gas-producing foods like beans, lentils, and veggies like cauliflower and broccoli. Gassiness can be an unpleasant side effect.
One solution is to simply eat more of them until your body adjusts to these healthful foods.
To counteract this problem, if it is a problem for you, try adding lemon juice to your cauliflower, as in this cheesy cauliflower soup recipe. Not only does the lemon add a bright pop of fresh flavour, but the juice of lemons is known to reduce gas.
About this Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
What we love about this soup is it’s velvety, smooth, creamy texture. There is no cream added here, and the creaminess comes just from the cauliflower and potatoes. Bacon, cheese and chives, are flavourful additions, but the cauliflower is really the star of this soup.
Cheesy cauliflower soup is so easy to make, and it’s a delicious meal in itself. Also, it freezes well, so you can have delicious, nourishing soup on hand for lunches during the week.
How to Make this Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 6 cups vegetable stock low sodium
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar grated
- 5 slices bacon cooked to tender crisp and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- In a large pot, bring stock to a boil
- Add potatoes and cauliflower, cooking until tender, about 15 minutes
- Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to semi puree the vegetables. (Its best to leave it a little bit chunky for texture)
- Stir in lemon juice and pepper
- Add the cheese to the pot, stirring until melted and blended.
- Stir in bacon and chives.
- Serve hot, garnished with extra cheese, if desired.