Pistachio Mint Frozen Yogurt is super simple and easy to make. And, it's amazingly delicious.
The only hard part about making this frozen treat was shelling and skinning all those pesky pistachios. I know that you can buy pistachios already shelled and skinned, but in my house, I had the kind that isn't. I managed to make the work much more enjoyable by eating every fifth one. Yes, I know what you're thinking; that made it take even longer, right. But darn, those nuts are addicting.
Mint: A Wonderful, But Prolific, Herb
I have lots of mint growing in my garden. Over the past few years, I've gotten a little wiser, and I now confine my mint plants to a large pot. Mint is a herb that likes to be boss in the garden and take over. Here's more info about growing mint in containers: Growing a Mint Container Garden
Growing Mint Plants
By keeping my mint contained in a pot, I still have plenty of mint while still maintaining control. I'm still the boss of the garden. I have two kinds of mint in the pot this year, the regular peppermint, and pineapple mint. Pineapple mint actually has a pineapple scent and taste. You can also grow apple mint, banana mint, even chocolate mint For this pistachio mint fro yo, I'm using regular peppermint.
Do I Need An Ice Cream Machine?
I really love my ice cream maker. It's great to be able to control the ingredients, especially when you read the labels on some of the store brands. We also love being able to have ice cream on a whim, without having to go out. And it usually takes about 30 minutes to make a batch of ice cream. Also, having the machine solves a problem for me. Because we live pretty far from grocery stores, it's hard to get ice cream home without it melting.
If you have an ice cream maker, this frozen yogurt takes just a couple of minutes to make. If you don't, this is just as easy without one. (You'll just have to wait longer to dig in).
We really loved the minty, nutty taste of this refreshing fro yo. And I liked the pretty pastel green colour. The mint is very cooling on a hot day, or after a spicy meal, and it isn't overly sweet.
If you like this pistachio mint frozen yogurt, try another delicious cool treat: Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream
Pistachio Mint Frozen Yogurt
- 2 cups Plain full-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup mint leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup shelled and skinned pistachio nuts chopped
- Put mint leaves in a blender with 1 cup of the yogurt, and the sugar.
- Blend until the mint is pureed and the sugar dissolved.
- In a bowl, combine the pureed mixture with the remaining cup of yogurt and the pistachios.
- Put into an ice cream maker and run for 30 minutes, or put into a freezer-safe bowl and freeze for about 4 hours, stirring vigorously every 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately for soft serve, or, for a firmer frozen yogurt, freeze for 30 minutes before serving. Keep in freezer 2-3 months.